Help with touch screen

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi all,

new to the forum. I have a 2011 4runner trail edition with JBL touchscreen navigation. Recently the touch screen completely stopped working. All the buttons on the side of the screen and on the steering wheel still work, the display still works, back up camera, gps, blutooth, everything still works EXCEPT the actual touch screen function. The screen is completely unresponsive. The first thing I did was clean it, that didn't work. Then I disconnected the battery for about ten minutes and let the system restart. I did that twice with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions? I talked to a car audio shop and described it to them and they said they would replace the entire system for around 7-8 hundred bucks. That's really steep considering I just barely bought the car. I don't want to dump that much money in to it right away. Is there any way to ONLY replace the screen? Like when your digitizer on your phone stops working but the phone still works?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you think that's expensive try asking the dealership what a new radio costs. You could call United Radio to ask for a quote. They will need information from the label on the radio that is only visible if you remove it from the dash.

If you think that's expensive try asking the dealership what a new radio costs. You could call United Radio to ask for a quote. They will need information from the label on the radio that is only visible if you remove it from the dash.
i was afraid this is what type of response i would get haha. So you don't think there's any type of "easy fix" for this problem huh? Most likely not something as simple as a loose connection or anything?

thanks for the quick response

I can't think of a more cost effective way to fix this problem than to put in an aftermarket head unit and the adapters required to retain stock features. That doesn't mean I'm right, but I don't expect you'll find a cheap and quick fix. Have you tried searching Google for this problem?

I have. I've tried searching for everything related to it that I can. Seems like the first person to have this problem with the 4runner 15 speaker JBL option. It also seems to be a pretty uncommon problem for touch screen navigation systems in general, so there's not a lot of info out there.

I did notice that my wife had her phone plugged in to the USB port when she drove it up to Utah for a wedding a few weeks ago (when this happened, although she doesn't recall a specific time when she noticed that it had stopped working) and saw that her phone cord had exposed wiring on the phone-side of the plug. Do you think that there's enough juice flowing through that cord that it could have grounded and blown/fried something? That's the only thing I've seen that looks at all out of the ordinary. The previous owner said that it never gave him a single problem. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and put in an aftermarket unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.