Pimp My Boat! Suggestions/Input on Speakers Please

Participant count
  • Participant list

jts4486
10+ year member

Background.

I recently bought an older ski boat. I am looking to add some better sound. Low end (80-100 hz and down) will be provided by a sealed 15 with dedicated amp. Boat will be covered when not in use.

Goal.

Create speaker pods to hang from the tower that get loud! (Loud enough so the skier/wakeboarder behind the boat can hear the music.) Ideally looking for frequency response from say 80 hz to 4-5000 (above that would be a bonus.)

Budget.

For speakers ~ $200.00. Number of speakers doesn't really matter to me. (1 Kick *** or 20 cheap ones doesn't matter)

Power.

I was hoping to simply use a cheap 4x100 rms amp to power the tower speakers. Efficiency is important as we will often play music with boat off.

Enclosure.

Will either be fiber glassed to spec or simple PVC to spec. Size is not really a concern.

Questions.

1. Do I need "weatherproof" speakers?

2. Will a decent midrange driver suffice or should I be incorporating tweeters?

3. If tweeters, co-axial or component?

4. Am I better off with a "nicer" pair of speakers or a bunch of cheaper ones? (Considering power is capped around 400 watts.)

5. Speakers size recommendations? I was leaning 6.5" or below (but not for any good reason.)

Parts express has a bunch of interesting looking drivers in the $20-40 dollars a piece range.

Suggestions or answers to the above are greatly appreciated.

Goal Restated:

Get loud! between 80-4,000 hz (or higher), off 400 watts, for around $200 bucks (drivers only), with any number/type of speakers.

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

Background.Budget.

For speakers ~ $200.00. Number of speakers doesn't really matter to me. (1 Kick *** or 20 cheap ones doesn't matter)

Power.

I was hoping to simply use a cheap 4x100 rms amp to power the tower speakers. Efficiency is important as we will often play music with boat off.

Enclosure.

Will either be fiber glassed to spec or simple PVC to spec. Size is not really a concern.

Questions.

1. Do I need "weatherproof" speakers?

2. Will a decent midrange driver suffice or should I be incorporating tweeters?

3. If tweeters, co-axial or component?

4. Am I better off with a "nicer" pair of speakers or a bunch of cheaper ones? (Considering power is capped around 400 watts.)

5. Speakers size recommendations? I was leaning 6.5" or below (but not for any good reason.)
Eminence Alpha-15A 15" Driver two of these and some super tweeters your choice => Horn Loaded Bullet Tweeters in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 35 You can add more or less depending on your taste. Overall it would be pretty darn loud. Dont let the power rating scare you, they are efficient drivers that will get loud especially if you cross them over at 80hz as you planned.

cone area of 2 15s is = 354 two drivers, less phase issues, much cheaper, easier to build enclosure

cone area of 10 6.5s is = 331 some phase issues, can get expensive, lots of installation work, but looks cool, hidden shipping cost can kill you lol.

8s, 10s and 12s cost almost as much as a 15 so not as cost effective.

whatever you get, make sure its pro audio with at least 92+ db sensitivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many wake tower speakers on the market that already serve this purpose. You need marine grade speakers as well as weatherproof enclosures with the correct sealed volume for the woofers, plus the mounting hardware needs to be correct not only for placement but for safety. Do not try to reinvent the wheel to save a few bucks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.