Help with sub on my boat (Video)

Participant count
  • Participant list

benjdow
10+ year member

Hi guys, I'd appreciate any tips or opinions with my dilemma. I have a slot port box with a Sundown Z15 v3 on my boat, under the driver console. The sub and port are both firing at the hull which caused too much flexing and overtime will cause damage to my boat. Due to the size of the box, I could only fire the sub and port towards the hull.

I'm rebuilding my box with PSP or Aeroports to reduce the overall size of the enclosure, and allow me to fire the sub, ports, or both into the cabin. Firing sub/port up is not an option since it would be worse for the boat than it is now. So considering the open air environment of a boat what would be best?

1. Sub and port firing into the cabin

2. Sub firing at hull and port firing into cabin

3. Port firing at hull and sub firing into cabin

Also, which is more responsible for all the flexing, sub or port?

[video=youtube;5F1ev-dAluA]

Holy shit, that's a lot of sub for a boat. You could always add more glass to the part thats flexing. Maybe even embed some metal in it. People's cars flex like that and don't have problems but I see how fiberglass might be a little more susceptible to vibration.

Holy hull flex, what is that, a Bayliner? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

That is definitely not good for the hull. Is it an open bow or cuddy cabin? I would put the sub under the front bow cushion with sub and port firing toward the stern if possible. A ported 15 is going to be hard to adapt into a smaller (less than ~20ft) boat due to the size requirements. Someone else on here has a high powered sub in a boat, his screen name begins with an A and is really long. He was running 2 sa 10s then he switched to an xcon 10 in a newer Mastercraft x26 iirc.

i have an alpine swr-m100 marine sub in my boat and i think its PERFECT in it. its marine so its waterproofed and it sounds really good i have a 23 footer and i have it outside next to the seat

Holy hull flex, what is that, a Bayliner? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
That is definitely not good for the hull. Is it an open bow or cuddy cabin? I would put the sub under the front bow cushion with sub and port firing toward the stern if possible. A ported 15 is going to be hard to adapt into a smaller (less than ~20ft) boat due to the size requirements. Someone else on here has a high powered sub in a boat, his screen name begins with an A and is really long. He was running 2 sa 10s then he switched to an xcon 10 in a newer Mastercraft x26 iirc.
hehe...Advantage Boats. A Bayliner would have been in pieces by now.

It's a 22ft open bow, but does not have the bow cushion in the middle. It's narrow, looks like a mini-off shore boat. The only option I have is under the console. If I fired the sub/port out, hull flex would not be an issue, but I worry about the sub not having something to load off of.

The box now is 3.25^ft after displacement. With PSP ports I can make a box quite a bit smaller, and even move the sub further from the hull. This video has a better view of the sub.

i have an alpine swr-m100 marine sub in my boat and i think its PERFECT in it. its marine so its waterproofed and it sounds really good i have a 23 footer and i have it outside next to the seat
Yeah, I'm sure that's a decent little woofer, but there's absolutely no way I could go from a 15" on a 2400.1 to that woofer. I put too much time and money into batteries and crap, plus it's fun to see others at party cove freak out when I turn it up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.