Help with speaker locations and other questions??

Participant count
  • Participant list

MCQuad
10+ year member

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that I would like to install a good system into. I am wondering where to put the front speakers for the best SQ. The stock door speakers are 6 x 8's, I was thinking of going with 6.5's.

1. Is it a good idea to put the 6.5 mid range driver in the stock location (door) and then mounting the tweeter in the A piller? If I do that, how do I make it sound right? I mean, won't it sound different as opposed to mounting the tweeter and mid close to each other? If I put the mid in the stock door location and then the tweeter in the A piller, how do I go about getting this to sound good?

2. Can anyone explain to me how to physically go about mounting the tweeter in the A piller?

3. I am also considering doing kick panels for the mids and tweets as opposed to mounting the mids in the stock door location with the tweeters in the A piller. Which would sound best?

4. Is it better to replace the stock speaker wire in the doors with aftermarket speaker wire?

Thanks!

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that I would like to install a good system into. I am wondering where to put the front speakers for the best SQ. The stock door speakers are 6 x 8's, I was thinking of going with 6.5's.
1. Is it a good idea to put the 6.5 mid range driver in the stock location (door) and then mounting the tweeter in the A piller? If I do that, how do I make it sound right? I mean, won't it sound different as opposed to mounting the tweeter and mid close to each other? If I put the mid in the stock door location and then the tweeter in the A piller, how do I go about getting this to sound good?

2. Can anyone explain to me how to physically go about mounting the tweeter in the A piller?

3. I am also considering doing kick panels for the mids and tweets as opposed to mounting the mids in the stock door location with the tweeters in the A piller. Which would sound best?

4. Is it better to replace the stock speaker wire in the doors with aftermarket speaker wire?

Thanks!
1. It's the easiest solution to use factory locations. Tweets in the pillars will tend to bring the sound stage up above the dash. To pull it off and get a coherant sound stage you will most likely need some form of time alignment.

2. Really depends on the tweeters themselves. Surface mount, just cut a hole in the pillars. Stick the mounting cups in and tighten them down. Flush mount you are going to have to do a little glassing to smooth it out.

3. Kick mounting will give you closer to equal path length differences ( the difference between how far each speaker is to your ears) which would require less time alignment, maybe none at all.

4. If you're running head unit power to them, I wouldn't bother. If you're running more power, I would change it out.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

1. Installing the speakers in the place where the stock speakers were is the most convenient option, but is not the absolute best choice for sound quality... Installing aftermarket kickpanels can be expensive but is the best option for sound quality. It's because of time alignment (basically how far away from each speaker you are). With kickpanels installed, you can be more centered among both speakers. If you find this isn't practical for you, there's always a balance setting you can mess around with, obviously. If you chose to install in the factory location, you're going to need to buy a speaker adapter to accommodate the new 6.5" speakers, or if you're crafty, you can make your own out of MDF. The tweeters can be mounted in the A-Frame, but it's ideal IMO to have them close to the midrange speakers. This is because if they're too far from eachother, it can appear the sound is coming from two different sources, rather than one. You can install them in the A-Frame and it should sound fine, but if you're really **** about it, as I said earlier.

2. Search the internet for "2002 Ford Explorer Door Panel Removal." Post back if you have any other questions. You're going to need to cut a new hole for the tweeters, obviously.

3. Same as 1.

4. Yes, you should replace the stock speaker wire (which is usually flimsy or worn out anyway) with aftermarket speaker wire. It's cheap and it makes sense if you're looking for the best possible sound anyway.

You beat me to the punch, Ramos. Looks like we're in agreement through and through, though.

Ok thanks for the replys. Can someone explain how to go about time alligning the speakers? How to time align? Is this done in the head unit? Also, I am probably going to sound deaden my doors with dynamat. Is this hard to do? Is dynamat the best material to use without getting into any exotic methods or materials?

Dynamat is one of the many aftermarket deadening materials that is simple and effective in keeping noise inside your vehicle, improving sound quality, and reducing vibration. It's very easy to do. It's basically as easy as installing a bumper sticker. Clean the area, apply the dynamat, smooth it out. bada boom bada bing. Time alignment is done on the head unit. This is how you adjust the time alignment- Sit in the seat, listen, stop adjusting when it sounds the best. It's like balance and fade. Try it out for yourself and if you really can't figure it out, just post back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.