Help with replacing Factory Amp for 4 channel (4x6.5 and 4xtweter+sub) speaker system

dasmikechen

I stumbled here as I am desperately searching to see if there is a good solution for my situation. I have a factory installed Rockford Fosgate 9 speaker system which included 4 6.5" and 4 1" tweeters and a 10" sub. I believe these are all 2ohm, and the sub is dual voice coil. This doesn't mean much to me, but what I do know is the factory amp is auto-leveling the sound output and causing a less than exciting sound experience. I do not desire to replace the speakers, or the head-unit, as I believe they will meet my needs, I just presume that the amp is the bottleneck.

My question is, how can I replace the factory amp? My reading has told me I may need line output converters, crossovers, etc. I am fine losing some integrated CAN-BUS controls (like the sub punch control, maybe even fade) but I really don't know what I need. I have found some pin diagrams for my unit so I believe I can isolate at least 4 channels of sound.

I tried to ask car audio guy at BBY if an amp swap was possible, and they made it sound like that would only work if I swapped speakers, but I dont want to go up to $400+their outrageous install prices. And then they said I would need something extra to power the sub.

I appreciate the help! Seems I may have a complex question, but I feel this must be getting more and more common the way factory stereos are being sold.

OK bud, haha it's def doable, but your about to take on something pretty ambitious... Because a line out converter works off of speaker signals, unless there are some speaker signals flowing from the factory deck into the factory amp, this can be a problem. Lets just hope there are. Now what you will need is good amp wires, a good 5 channel amp, and a cross over for each of your 6 1/2 inch component sets. Run power and ground to the aftermarket amp, run an LOC from the HU into after market amp, if there are no speaker wires from there, you might have to get new HU with preouts. Run a crossover between the amp and each of your 6 1/2 and tweets and then wire the sub into the sub channel on the amp. Be sure you get an amp that is 2 ohm stable on every channel as well...good luck

Okay, so this is not completely impossible if I can isolate enough channels directly from the factory HU? My concern is that others have only been able to get the front two channels from the HU and thus are left with only L/R or F/R controls. I suppose 2 channels of improved sound is better than 4 'channels' of mediocre sound.

Can someone explain what the LOC will need? Does it take 4 individual channels from the HU and convert them to RCA, or does it take one signal, process it to 4 channels? I imagine if there is any hope of retaining LF, LR, RF, RR I will need to LOC to find each channel individually from the headunit. I have seen others posting pin diagrams, if anyone knows how to source this for my application or can direct me, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

After talking with some local 'professionals,' they have pointed me to this as the best solution:

JBL MS-8 Digital sound processor at Crutchfield Signature

JBL MS-8 Digital Sound Processor

I am wondering if it is worth the money. For $800 +install time (or money) am I going to notice the difference...? Seems like so much. Anyone able to inform me if this is something I could do myself with basic wiring understanding?

Well the MS-8 is one of the best integration processors I have heard, but you arn't really going to get much more volume just all around better alignment and imaging. As far as the LOC is concerned that is strickly for the use of an after market amp, and you can tie it into one speakers +/- terminals, this just converts the speaker output into RCA so you can give signal to the amp.

It is for an Evo X with Rockford Fosgate sound system, fronts are 2-way, rears are 1-way, and sub is dual voice coil. After re-listening to my system last night, it is louder than I thought and think the MS-8 would help, but may not be necessary at this time.

The nice thing about the MS-8 is it would have a devoted channel and crossovers to run my exact setup, just need to decide if the added 'clarity/imaging' of the sound is worth the $600-800. Thanks for your responses to my inquiry.

I am back again. I told myself I didn't need the MS-8, unless I could find it for $400. Happened to find it for very close from a eletronic store that was closing nearby. Great deal. Best part like I said in the prior post is that it will have a devoted channel for each of my channels from my factory setup, but I had some 'newb' questions.

I need to pick the following and don't know what they mean or what does what. I would appreciate advice based on a factory setup if you can help. Also, if you want to explain what it means, it would be very much appreciated. In return, I will post pictures of the install and setup when the time comes! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sub:

Subsonic filter from 20Hz - 50Hz

Subsonic slope from 6dB-24dB per octave

Sub/front crossover from 50Hz-200Hz

Sub/Front Slope from 6dB - 24dB per octave

Front 2-way:

Front Lo/Hi crossover from 50Hz - 10KHz

Front Lo/Hi slope from 6dB - 24dB per octave

Thanks for your suggestions. The instruction booklet does not cue me in to what these mean and I dont know what to even use to start with.

Did you pick it up at Ultimate Electronics? Have one of those close to me and they had that for around $300 or $400.

How did you guess? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Are you able to assist with my newb questions?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.