Help with Power Capacitor

Participant count
  • Participant list

FPAEP

Hey guys, I am wondering if I could get some advise. I have a 2 JL Audio amps. 450/4 and 500/1. The installer told me that I need a Capacitor. He sold me a 5 farrat one for $340. I don't remember a model number or anything. Do you think that I will be better off finding something on the internet? If yes, can you post some specific models. Thanks a bunch.

Do you have your system installed allready ? Do the lights dim ? You may not need a cap. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Do you have your system installed allready ? Do the lights dim ? You may not need a cap. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No, I do not have it installed. I have the install scheduled for Next Friday. It's just that the installer told me that I am running a lot of power and I will need one. Is it better to wait and see if the lights dim. I drive an Acura CL 2003. The installer said that I have a 6-cylinder and it's not enough. He defenetelly seems he knows what he is talking about when he talked about everything else, so I believed him. But I decided to here just in case. $320 is a lot of money, and I already spent too much.

You definitely dont need a cap more than likely, if your lights dim when you get everything installed then a cap will only make it worse cuz then the already too small alternator will be trying to provide power for the amps and the cap and just wont be able to do it. Caps in gerneral are useless. They MAY only work if the electrical system is up to par but even then with one, you wont notice any gain.

No, I do not have it installed. I have the install scheduled for Next Friday. It's just that the installer told me that I am running a lot of power and I will need one. Is it better to wait and see if the lights dim. I drive an Acura CL 2003. The installer said that I have a 6-cylinder and it's not enough. He defenetelly seems he knows what he is talking about when he talked about everything else, so I believed him. But I decided to here just in case. $320 is a lot of money, and I already spent too much.
Sounds too me like he is just trying to make more money off of you. The fact that your car is a six cylinder is a moot point. That's like saying your car is white so you will need a capacitor, which by the way I happen to have for $320. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Get the picture. What you really need to look at is the output of your alternator. But I wouldn't worry about anything until you have the system installed and see what you need. No need to spend money until you need to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No problem man. Let us know how everything goes. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

make sure you get a nice battery like a optima or stinger. After that get the system installed and see what happens, you will know if you need a bigger alt or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.