Help with noise!!!

WashYourWinky
10+ year member

The Pilot
I have a faint whining noise coming through my front comps when the volume is on zero. It sounds like a ground loop issue. But I have been trying everything I can think of to get rid of this noise nothing seems to work!

I've tried:

3 different amps

2 brand new sets of rcas

different ground locations

ground to the battery itself

3 head units

grounding the head unit to the amp

grounding the rcas

I have narrowed it down, the amps send the noise to the speakers even if no rcas are hooked up. So its not the head unit or the rcas!

What am I missing?

my vehicle is a 1999 bonneville and yes when it is running i also notice when car is running without anything stereo o0n i can hear a high pitch from the front of the car
I would get the alternator checked. I remember when I had my 78 jeep my alternator regulator was giving out and when I had some voltage drop the alternator would actually whine trying to bring the voltage back up. The reason I asked which vehicle is because some older vehicles have a condensor either attached to voltage regulator or distribuitor to get rid of electrical noise in radio. Usually newer cars like yours that are distribuitor-less ignitions are good about not making electrical noise but the alternator could be the culprit, especially if it only does it when running. I don't know how accessible the plug that is connected to your alternator is but you might be able to try disconnecting it and then starting the car and listen out for the noise. If it doesn't do it then there is ur answer. The car will just run on battery so u can run it for testing purposes only just don't forget to plug it back in after you're done checking so u can re start vehicle and charge batt. Back up for a few minutes. Just my opinion but maybe someone has any other ideas.

I think this might could happen through the remote wire being nicked somewhere and picking it up. I had this happen in my truck a few years back, and iirc it was my remote wire but I can't remember 100%

I would get the alternator checked. I remember when I had my 78 jeep my alternator regulator was giving out and when I had some voltage drop the alternator would actually whine trying to bring the voltage back up. The reason I asked which vehicle is because some older vehicles have a condensor either attached to voltage regulator or distribuitor to get rid of electrical noise in radio. Usually newer cars like yours that are distribuitor-less ignitions are good about not making electrical noise but the alternator could be the culprit, especially if it only does it when running. I don't know how accessible the plug that is connected to your alternator is but you might be able to try disconnecting it and then starting the car and listen out for the noise. If it doesn't do it then there is ur answer. The car will just run on battery so u can run it for testing purposes only just don't forget to plug it back in after you're done checking so u can re start vehicle and charge batt. Back up for a few minutes. Just my opinion but maybe someone has any other ideas.
I`ll do that my plug is very easy to get to thanks will let you know asap.

I think this might could happen through the remote wire being nicked somewhere and picking it up. I had this happen in my truck a few years back, and iirc it was my remote wire but I can't remember 100%
I've never had issue with remote but that would be another easy test. Disconnect remote wire from amp and put a little wire from remote input on amp to positive(+) input on amp and that would eliminate the remote altogether and determine if that's the problem. That's 2 different and simple tests you both can do without buying anything and nothing to lose except unwanted noise hopefully.

Ok a little update. I get the noise with the car running and when its off. The noise changes pitch if i push the gas pedal, with the car running or not. My remote wire was fine.

Ok a little update. I get the noise with the car running and when its off. The noise changes pitch if i push the gas pedal, with the car running or not. My remote wire was fine.
You got me there. I've worked on many cars but I never worked on a vehicle like yours. my guess is your vehicle has the newer electronic throttle control where instead of a throttle cable the pedal sends a signal to ecu and ecu send signal so throttle body will open. If that is causing the noise you have some headaches ahead of you. I'm sorry I can't help you there. I hope you find it cuz I know how annoying that can be since I had the pico fuse issue on my headunit and whine was terrible!!! But i fixed and I'm happy now so good luck bro. I'll try and think of anything else and let u know.

Thanks for trying to help! I'm really lost here, I've been installing and messing with this stuff for years and have never had anything like this happen.

You got me there. I've worked on many cars but I never worked on a vehicle like yours. my guess is your vehicle has the newer electronic throttle control where instead of a throttle cable the pedal sends a signal to ecu and ecu send signal so throttle body will open. If that is causing the noise you have some headaches ahead of you. I'm sorry I can't help you there. I hope you find it cuz I know how annoying that can be since I had the pico fuse issue on my headunit and whine was terrible!!! But i fixed and I'm happy now so good luck bro. I'll try and think of anything else and let u know.

I also get feedback if I plug in more than one set of rcas. Both sets check out fine if used alone, plug them in together and I get extra feedback on top of the noise I already have! This happens with different amps and head unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.