help with my 2018 ram 2500 MC CTD build

Participant count
  • Participant list

rmu westfl

CarAudio.com Newbie
Greetings!

I frequently troll this (and similar forms), but I don’t really post. Been doing research for about a month now. Planning a nice SQ build for my truck, and need some help with design/picking components, maybe install if there are any local installers that could tackle a build of this magnitude. I listen mainly (80%) to EDM (seriusXM chill Channel 53), but also some indie alternative, pop, country, some books on tape, no hip-hop. The idea is a nice, clean well balanced build with exceptional clean bass. Budget is 5K to 15 K, less important than component selection etc. Caveat is, I will not be doing any installs myself as I am neither that technically inclined nor have the time. So I have to figure in install costs. I want a clean, crisp active three-way front, rear fill, and a nice ported box. The truck has the uconnect 8.4 (which I wanna maintain since it has a lot of built in functions such as seat heater/ac, cameras, etc) with the alpine “upgrade” including an 8 inch sub.

Front stage: I am now thinking focal flax 3 way active. 6.5 in the factory front door location (that normally houses a 6 x 9), 3 inch in the dash facing up, tweeter custom mounted in the A-pillar? Is that a good location or is there a better one? Any other ideas? Mount 3 inch and tweet in A-pillar? Both in dash? I was initially torn between Hertz Mille Legends, audison voce, focal K2 power, and focal flax. I have been told that mille and audison will not be able to keep up with the bass at higher volumes. Especially audison is supposed to excel with acoustic guitars, classical music, etc which I really don’t listen to. In terms of K2 power versus flax, I read that the K2 power is designed more for rock (and other dynamic music), has excellent midbass, but the tweeter can be a bit bright. Also, I find it difficult to justify 3 times the price tag when you jump from flax to K2 power. Flax 3 way currently $699 on crutchfield.

Rear stage: 6.5 coaxial in the rear door (also currently housing a factory 6x9). I would like to retain the same brand/line as front stage. Anybody would do 6x9s or anything other than 6.5 coax?

Subs: Custom ported box. I have gotten recommendations for 4 10 W3s, 4 10 W6s, 3 10 W7's. The 6sor 7s would be firing down (or up) due to shallow mounting depth forward-back. I read on the forums that mega-cab has about 6 cubes of space behind the rear seats if you go all the way up to the window. I would like to retain the child seat restraint anchors so the box builder I met with says there is about 4.5 to 5 cubes of space back there.

Sound deadening: doors, floor (double), pillars, roof, all sound deadened. Truck is chipped and tuned and there is a lot of low tone diesel exhaust noise in the cabin. Also big 37 inch tires. Thinking about doubling up on the sound deadening stuff, especially on the floors?

Amps: This is where I need the most help atm. I am leaning towards the JL 3W7s set up, what amp(s) would you use for the subs? What amps to run the other 8 channels? I've heard good things about audio control and JL amps. Unfortunately, the audio control LC 1.1500 is not stable at 1 ohm and this is how the 3 w7s would be wired. Any JL amps pass mustard? Audison Uno? There are a few 1 ohm 1500 W amps out there sure, but wouldn't 10W7s need more than 500 watts a piece? It would be nice to keep the same line of amps throughout the build, but not necessary. I just want to make sure there is enough juice going to the subs (and front stage).

DSP: I definitely want a DSP, sounds like I need 9 channels output? audison uno vs mosconi? I have not read great things about audio control DSP. The shop that quoted the job recommended VXI JL amps with built in DSP, but i don't know enough about those amps.

Any other thoughts and any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks to this form, I found several local shops that gave me install proposals. Hopefully some of the experts out there can help with my build, and even if things work out do the entire install. Location: tampa bay/clearwater area FL

RMU

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.