Help with Installation

Just to answer a few questions, we are using low level RCA inputs.
I know what speakers sound like that are not in the correct enclosure and this is not the issue. Whether the speaker is in the box or out of the box sitting to the side, as soon as the volume is turned up to 5 or 6 out of 50 and the subs barely have any sound coming out it sounds absolutely terrible. I don’t know that I’ve ever actually heard a blown speaker so I’m not sure if that’s what this sounds like or not. But like I said when we first turned everything on we had them gain turn all the way down and slowly turned it up until we started hearing sound and this is how it sounded so I don’t see how we could’ve blown them if that’s what we are hearing.
What are you doing here if you already know everything?

I keep hearing good things about Harmony Audio amps.
They're cheap amps with no spiffy features but they do rated...the one I ran never really got warm let alone hot and it sounded good to me...honestly I wouldn't have a problem running one again if they had something I needed right now 😂

I’m definitely not saying I know everything or even close. I was just replying to a statement referring to small enclosures and that I have heard what speakers sound like when they are crammed into too small of an enclosure and that is not the kind of sound these speakers are making. I was in this game somewhat 25 years ago and I know most of you guys here mess with this stuff way more than I ever did so I’m just relying on your expertise to fill the gaps and so far I can say this is an amazing group. You guys have already gone above and beyond. Like I said I am just trying to help this kid out that’s just getting his feet wet in car audio and having to pay for it all out of his pocket, and the $400 he was quoted just to install an amp and subs by the only local shop was a little out of his budget. So at this point we’ve contacted the seller and all he will do is replace the subs for the same subs if we pay return shipping costs. And before we go for that I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I’d hate to go through that and the new speakers sound the same. But like I said I pulled a Punch 10 out of my truck and connected to the same speaker lead and it sounded fine. So it sounds like we have two bad speakers.

Last edited:
The right subs would be the Kicker 48CWRT124 12" 4-Ohm Dual 500(Watts RMS) Voice Coil Design Subwoofer-Black, your listing, eBay item number:134177017807 for $183.96. These subwoofers minimum air requirement is .55 cu ft, which will work in that enclosure, and the power has a range on their website of 350 -500w RMS in a sealed enclosure. I could then use your amp to get 800w RMS @ 1ohm, sending 400w to each subwoofer. These subwoofers will fit, just like the others and I would like to exchange them.
Not a good choice either - super high QTS sub with average VAS would still require a big enclosure. You can't trust Kicker's recommendations, they're always on the small side. That sub looks better suited to an Infinite baffle than .6cuft; even 1 cuft is small for that sub. Really the only 12 that comes to mind for that airspace is the Dayton Reference HO, but those run $249 each.

I’m definitely not saying I know everything or even close. I was just replying to a statement referring to small enclosures and that I have heard what speakers sound like when they are crammed into too small of an enclosure and that is not the kind of sound these speakers are making. I was in this game somewhat 25 years ago and I know most of you guys here mess with this stuff way more than I ever did so I’m just relying on your expertise to fill the gaps and so far I can say this is an amazing group. You guys have already gone above and beyond. Like I said I am just trying to help this kid out that’s just getting his feet wet in car audio and having to pay for it all out of his pocket, and the $400 he was quoted just to install an amp and subs by the only local shop was a little out of his budget. So at this point we’ve contacted the seller and all he will do is replace the subs for the same subs if we pay return shipping costs. And before we go for that I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. I’d hate to go through that and the new speakers sound the same. But like I said I pulled a Punch 10 out of my truck and connected to the same speaker lead and it sounded fine. So it sounds like we have two bad speakers.
If the subs still sound crappy playing free air, then swap the subs. Double check the enclosure for air leaks. IMHO, Hifi really he did him wrong. That enclosure has 10" subs written all over it. If the kid can afford it, it would be a great enclosure for 12" Dayton HO 4ohm DVC from Parts Express ($250/sub). Good luck and thumbs up for helping out a noobie.

To me it sounds like misaligned voice coils. I just reconed a sub and missed it on the first try. Sounded rattle-y on low volume but good on high volume. Took it all apart and reconed it right. Now it sounds straight at all volumes.
Makes me wonder if the Kickers he has are refurbs, returns or b-stock.

Both speakers read 4 ohms.
Very good then. That is where they should be at or close too and not a bouncing/moving around reading. So i would use just ONE SET OF SPEAKER TERMINALS @ the amplifier. Wire the subs as pictured to the Final 2 ohm load and use one set of speakers at the amplifier and not both. Let us know how that does. Start out @ approx 7 O'Clock position on the gain and let us know how it does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...