Help with Front Dash Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

st0n3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, I have a 2013 Dodge Avenger SXT. Its got the 2 front dash 3.5" speakers (kicker cs354), front doors are 6.5" Rockford Fosgate T1675-s's, and the rear deck are Rockford Fosgate T1693 6x9's. I have all of them wired up to my Hifonics Txi6408 4 Chan amp. As far as i can tell, the front doors components and front dash tie into eachother as "front channel" and the 6x9s are rear. I am certain that after 2 days of minimal playing that the drivers side 3.5 has blown. I had a local shop install them because i didnt have the time to tear my daily driver apart and do it all. Its possible that the amp was set too high for the fronts (seeing the 3.5's tie there), but i have those really good RF components there. The highs sounds pretty good from the tweeter installed in the A pillar and what i assume were the 3.5's. I dont think i heard much sound coming from the 6.5 itself(what would cause that) as i could put my hand on the speaker cover and not really feel anything. Now would i be better off just not using 3.5's in the dash and letting the 6.5 components do their own thing on the front, or what? I dont have a 6 chan amp to power each set individually and for them being like 25-40 watt rms its pointless id think to spend that kind of money for a decent 6 chan just for some 3.5's. What do you all recommend that i do? Does the fact that the 6.5 itself doesnt feel like it does anything even though the tweeters rock out mean anything? My factory unit had the 3.5's tied into the doors as front channel, so wiring wise i think its right but not sure what i should do at this point. What difference if any would i hear by doing away with the 3.5's and just running the front door components on their own?

I'm sad a shop would put in 6.5" components and 3.5" coaxials in the same vehicle up front. Your factory speakers have treble coming from one place, in the dash. What would make sense to fix this is to run the door woofers and the coaxials, and forget the A-pillar tweeters. Since they already put in those extra tweeters you're stuck with them. You should get better midrange clarity from the dash speakers by crossing the door mids at around 1 kHz and let the 3.5" speakers play from 1 kHz on up.

You should definitely feel something from the door speakers. If they put them in the doors with a crappy flimsy adapter and didn't do any sound deadening that could explain why they're not moving any air. The energy is being wasted by flexing panels. At the least you should be able to hear them if you put your ear next to them.

@trumpet; well the components came with the tweeters and i figured they would look good installed in the A pillar and would sound good also. I dont know much about components and such which is another reason why i went to have them installed. My dash 3.5's i would have no idea on how to set a specific frequency to them and not to the other 6.5's which are tied into the same channel. At this point im not sure what to do as im certain no dampener was put in on my doors and im not sure what type of adjustments they did with the crossovers on the components. If you can let me know maybe i can try to do it myself since it didnt appear to be done properly the 1st time.

It's understandable that the shop might not know a better way to upgrade your speakers. The better way to handle this is to change the system so you have active crossovers to split up the frequencies. You could do this by something as easy as changing the amplifier, or you could do it with an active capable head unit.

If the door woofers aren't playing you need to have the shop fix this.

My headunit i picked up is an Alpine CDE-HD148bt and the amp powering my door/dash is the Hifonicx txi6408. Im going over to the shop in the next day or so anyway because i need to have the 3.5's removed since its blown //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.