Help with dual batter setup

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a few questions regarding my setup which is as follows...

2013 Subaru WRX sedan

- big 3

- dc power 250a alt

- XS power d3400 under hood

- scv-2000d

- sax -150.4

= 2600w rms total

1. So I need a second battery?

2. If so can I run a smaller XS power battery such as the xp950? Or do they have to match?

3. Do I need an isolator? (I do not plan on running the system with the car off for long periods.

4. Do I have to wire the negative cable from the front to the rear battery?

5. Can I ground both amps to the rear negative battery terminal if I do run the negative cable from both batteries.

Thank you

1. No2. Yes

3. No

4. No

5. Better to ground the amps and rear batt separate.
1 Ground all 3 separately? And should I still run the negative cable from the front bat to the rear? Or just ground it to the trunk?

2. And to be clear I def can run the smaller XSPower xp950 in the rear with the d3400 up front without issues or being bad for the battery?

3. And I def don't need an isokator? I thought it was bad to not have one because one battery will always drain the other? Would the front battery drain the smaller rear battery? Or does it not matter because they are agm batteries and the big one is up front and I don't plan on playing music for long with the car off

Not really necessary to ground everything separately. Get a ground block or something like the knukoncpetz confused and feed your amp grounds there then run a single 0 gauge to the battery then a nice fat 0 to the frame rail. Don't need to take ground all the way back.

No issue running two batteries without an isolator unless you plan on running the system a lot with it off. As long as you have a good alt it will equalize them.

Not really necessary to ground everything separately. Get a ground block or something like the knukoncpetz confused and feed your amp grounds there then run a single 0 gauge to the battery then a nice fat 0 to the frame rail. Don't need to take ground all the way back.
No issue running two batteries without an isolator unless you plan on running the system a lot with it off. As long as you have a good alt it will equalize them.
So how should i wire it up in trying to figure out what to order. Here's what I have

D3400 under hood bat-> 300a fuse?

Xp950 rear bat

SCV-2000d (1/0g wire)

Sax-150.4 (4g wire)

Do I wire the fused d3400 directly to the positive of the x950? Or should I use the 3 way knf60? It's confusing because in the pic it shows you run your power wire into it then output to the second battery, then from the second battery back into the knf60, assuming that's the positive back into it? And then from there use 2 of the 3 ports left to go to each amp?

How would I configure this? Also what fuses would I use? A 300a fuse for the front to rear battery in ports (a-b)? Then a 200a fuse on the SCV-2000d output ©, and a 100a fuse on the sax- 150.4 output (e)? It's just confusing because the signal flow doesn't go straight across from the second battery input to the 2 amp outputs? Is that what the included links are for? Just put the corresponding fuse on the port and then use the link to send the signal across to outputs © and (e)?

Here's a picture:

475f3fabde1d56fbe280e69492bfa66a.jpg

And then for the grounding I would run the 4g ground from the sax, the 0g from the SCV and then another 0g from the rear battery into the ground block and then a single 1/0g wire to the frame rail or other appropriate mount point? Sorry I'm a bit confused on which ground block and how I would use it for this application?

Help is greatly appreciated!

No run a positive 0 gauge OFC from your starter battery all the way to your 2nd battery be sure to fuse no more than 16" from both ends. Use an Inline fuse I use a 250 just means it will pop sooner if something happens which is always good. You can then run a 0 gauge power wire to a fused distribution block. You then run the wire out of their to your amps. You can use the below linked for both positive or ground but you have to have one of each you can not mix ground and power in same distro. For ground you order the brass links and run the amps grounds to the distro then a 0 gauge to the battery and a 0 gauge from the battery to a good ground spot..

KonFUSED 3 Way Fuse or Ground Distribution Block - Merchandise

No run a positive 0 gauge OFC from your starter battery all the way to your 2nd battery be sure to fuse no more than 16" from both ends. Use an Inline fuse I use a 250 just means it will pop sooner if something happens which is always good. You can then run a 0 gauge power wire to a fused distribution block. You then run the wire out of their to your amps. You can use the below linked for both positive or ground but you have to have one of each you can not mix ground and power in same distro. For ground you order the brass links and run the amps grounds to the distro then a 0 gauge to the battery and a 0 gauge from the battery to a good ground spot..
Ok thank you so I need to run an inline fuse before the rear battery as well?

Also what fuses do I use for the power dist block? There will be the 1/0g power wire in the middle input and then a 1/0h wire to the SCV-2000d which I think is 200a max and then a 4g wire output to the sax-150.4 which is a 100a max (2x 50a) I believe. So what wild I select for the 3 fuses with that configuration?

Ok thank you so I need to run an inline fuse before the rear battery as well?

Also what fuses do I use for the power dist block? There will be the 1/0g power wire in the middle input and then a 1/0h wire to the SCV-2000d which I think is 200a max and then a 4g wire output to the sax-150.4 which is a 100a max (2x 50a) I believe. So what wild I select for the 3 fuses with that configuration?

Yes inline fuse 12-16" before EACH battery. As for the Distro fuse to the amps you use whatever the amp is rated for. So two amps one 100 and one 60 will be fused separately inside the distro at 100 and one for 60.

Yes inline fuse 12-16" before EACH battery. As for the Distro fuse to the amps you use whatever the amp is rated for. So two amps one 100 and one 60 will be fused separately inside the distro at 100 and one for 60.
How do the fuses work I don't understand the power goes into the input but how would I put two fuses on? Will I need to select a link for one of the fuse options because I only have 2 amps not 3?

Every pos(+) cable going in and out must be fused from each battery, not doing so can and will lead to a fire as long as any of the negative cables are attached to the car body. In case of a failure (accident), as long as all your negatives or your poitives are connected you will still have a charged system. Disconnecting just the front negative will not disconnect the rest of your batteris from your car since they are individually connected at different areas of the body.

Gotcha I didn't notice that the fuse blocks were all connected on the input side that's why I was confused on how to place the fuses to reach multiple outs. Haha I feel really dumb after not figuring that out right away lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.