Help with distortion in Midrange speakers! Driving me crazy!

Participant count
  • Participants list

kemo9099

Hey guys. I need some help solving this issue because its driving me crazy! Cant figure it out.

Firstly, my setup:

Car: 2012 Challenger SXT

Audio Spec:

Stock Head Unit- Using Step down converter to RCAs

audicontol Line Driver- Six Channel 1st channel- Mids 2nd & 3rd Channel- Sub

audiocontrol 3.2 equalizer

Amps- 2x t1500-bd rockfordfosgate, 200 rockfordfosgate punch

Speakers- Infiniti Kappas 6x9s front doors and 6 1/2 rear dash; 12in Orion HCCA 4k watt sub

OK, so this is my problem. After hooking up everything, it all sounds great! Highs are crisp and clean and bass is seriously knocking. BUT, I just noticed that in low volume like around 12 on the head unit and the bass is hitting, there's distortion from my mids. I turn down the sub via the equalizer and bump just the mid range no problems at all. But then I kick in the sub and I know notice even in high volume that there is some slight crackling and even popping when the subwoofer hits.

Ive checked the grounds, checked for loose wiring, adjusted the line driver and gain on the amp. I'm not quite sure what the deal is.

Is it a grounding issue with the amps or maybe with the rcas? Or perhaps the sub amps are drawing too much power that its causing a spike for the midrange? Maybe need a small cap for mid-range? Or maybe need to adjust equalizer/ line driver?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

could be the sub pushing on the rear deck speakers, causing them to distort under the pressure created by the sub. this is very common.

another option is voltage drop. when the sub amp pulls voltage down, the supply rails on the speaker amp will sag and clipping is possible.

are you sure it's not the sub clipping?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.