Help with Charging problem (stuck at 12.3 volts)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Controller

Now here is my story;

I have a 18'' fi btl sub and a 4000watt amp being powered by 5 batteries (one up front and 4 in the cab)

I recently had to change the batteries because they all started going bad (just really old, no problems that i know of)

The first batteries i had were cheap 650 crank amp used car batteries, and the new ones i just bought are 4 Red Top Ultima 1000 crank amp batteries and one normal interstate up under the hood.

My problem is this;

As soon as i connected all the new batteries (positives to positives & negatives to negatives), the voltage is like stuck at 12.3 and will not go any higher, almost like its capped out

The voltage drops to 11.8 when i slam the sub hard, in tern cutting out the amp since it doesn't get the power it wants.

However the altenator charges it back up to 12.3 VERY fast so i dont think the alt is bad

Yes all the batteries are connected to the front battery which is connected to the alternator, which is 100 amp. (not that high i know but it is after market and worked fine for 4 years charging 5 batteries constantly, and even though its getting kinda old, it still charges fine)

My Question is;

What is the problem that is causing my voltage to be stuck at 12.3 even though they are all brand new batteries (and all good), and how can i fix this.

PLEASE help.

Just an FYI, there are much better options in batteries for audio purposes than Red Tops. If you had to stick with Optima, then the Yellow Top would have been a better choice.

I would disconnect the batteries from each other and measure their resting voltages individually to see if you find any large discrepancy with any of them. Furthermore, 4K on a 100A alt just isn't going to work. You'd be better off selling a few batts and buying a proper alt.

i understand 100amp isnt big enough, but it got the job done when i had my old batteries in

is it possible that the change in bat types caused the voltage lock up?

as for the batteries, i got the 1000 crank amp red tops at 125 a piece so i thought it was a good deal. all brand new

but what would you recommend i get, if i get all batteries from interstate at dealer prices (minus about 20% on every battery type)

never mind it was a bad zero gauge running from the front to back, and a bad ground in the back. two simple, but nearly impossible things to fine, took 26 hours to find/fix lol

thanks for the help though guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.