Help with box building costs

Participant count
  • Participant list
I need to either build a box or have a box built for a single Sundown SA-12. I'm debating on building it myself vs having one built. I know aside from the wood there are other random things needed like titebond, screws, liquid nail, resin possibly other things???

I was just wondering if someone might be able to give me a little insight on the cost of building a single enclosure about 1.5 - 1.7 cubes with a slot port about 32 - 34hz.

The part that is making me debate on building vs having it made is that if its only $20-$40 more expensive to have it built that I'd rather do that knowing that if I get it from a reputable builder it will be done right instead of me doing it and possibly running into issues.

Here is some info on my setup

(1) Sundown SA-12

Audiopipe APSM-1500

Height - 14"

Width - 31"

Depth - Approx 14"

Will be going in the trunk of a 97 Civic. I could probably go more on the depth but would like enough room to fit a golf bag in the back with them.

I'm located in West Michigan if someone may be interested in building one for me.

Building your self is always cheaper. You are only limited by your tools and skill level and your ability to design at that point. You could of course purchase a design and build that, then you are only limited by tools and skill level. (which the design should be based around)

As for the difference in costs....

Design $30

Enclosure built/shipped $150

Self Building $50-70 (depending on local prices and supplies needed)

(prices are based off of our pricing structure)

So if you buy a design and then build your self you would be around $80-100.

It just comes down to what works best for you and your needs. Everyone has different opinions and requirements.

Considering a box can make or break a stereo, I opted to have a box built. I could of designed and built it myself but to me I wanted to get a solid enclosure that I knew would hold up and have no issues with, so I chose to have one built. There are numerous solid builders right here in the forums that would probably be willing to help you out, I opted to go with Pro-Rabbit for mine. Hope you get your stuff hooked up mate. Best of luck.

One very large cost to consider in building is tools. Do you have the tools to do the job?

You can have the panels cut at the lumber yard but to do it right, you also need a router to round at least the port edges. You'll need a nail gun and compressor or a good screw gun/drill. To cut the speaker hole you'll need either a circle jig and router or a jigsaw. If you plan on finishing the cabinet you'll need sandpaper and body filler, along with the appropriate spreaders and mixing tools. For cleanup of body filler and fiberglas, you'll need lacquer thinner.

All in all, to do a really quality job building a box, you need to have a lot of different tools, many that I didn't mention. That's not to say it can't be done with a minimum of tools but to be sure, it's harder to do something right without the proper tools.

All that said, I do encourage doing it yourself and if you're not comfortable with design, use google and do some reading. There is a free college education on just about any topic you want to learn, right at your fingertips. You'll just have to decide whether you'd rather learn how to do it or sit in front of the television and watch overgrown, over paid mouth breathers chase a ball around on fake grass. ;-)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.