help with alternator/battery/wiring kit

Participant count
  • Participant list

James84
10+ year member

Hello all! Im just posting this thread to see if all these components will go good together for my new system.

I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana(Van), with 1 18'' SSA ZCON, and a Sundown 3500.

What I want to upgrade/install;

Alternator- 7861-SPX High Amp Alternator 300amps

Front Battery(under hood)- OPTIMA Battery 8078-109 78 REDTOP

Rear Battery- XS Power D1600 16v Battery, Max Amps 2400A.

Wiring Kit- XS Flex 0 AWG

PS. These items are NOT set in stone, if there's anything that I should change, plz let me know, thank you. Oh, I would like to supply my amp with atleast 14.4v, consistently. And again, Thank You!

Ummm, is that redtop a 16V battery, and your system 16V? If not, that rear 16V guy isn't going to work in there. Pick a different rear battery.

you can not run a 16 volt battery on a 12 volt system[car]there is a 14 volt xs battery ,use it instead of the ones you picked
what about this- XS Power D1400 14v AGM Battery, Max Amps 2400A

Other than that, does everything look good?

This is about the amp. Which should I go for, Sundown or Crescendo? The ZCON is 2250rms, and the Crescendo BC2000D can do 2250rms, I would think that would be a great match, right? Or I could go for the BC3500D for almost $500 less then the Sundown SAZ-3500D. Is Sundown really that much better? Thank you!

Yeah, the sundown amps are better, but not worth the extra cash bought brand new. Look for one used, they run about the same price as new BC3500's. But if you're buying brand new for sure then I would say the Crescendo would do just fine.

Also dc power alt recently told me they would not warrenty there alts when used with optima batterries. They claim that since optima started making batteries in mexico the quality of there batteries has droppes so exponentially that the 14.9 charge voltage they use causes the batts to swell and short out. They claim that when this happens there is a possibility that the discharge from the battery could fry some if the internals if the alt.

I never had a problem before with optimas but i recently had a customer blowout two g34 yellowtops. So i called dc power for there opinion on the matter and they told me what i said above. I since then have replaced the optimas with the xs power d3400 and the customer is happy with no problems to report of

Also dc power alt recently told me they would not warrenty there alts when used with optima batterries. They claim that since optima started making batteries in mexico the quality of there batteries has droppes so exponentially that the 14.9 charge voltage they use causes the batts to swell and short out. They claim that when this happens there is a possibility that the discharge from the battery could fry some if the internals if the alt.
I never had a problem before with optimas but i recently had a customer blowout two g34 yellowtops. So i called dc power for there opinion on the matter and they told me what i said above. I since then have replaced the optimas with the xs power d3400 and the customer is happy with no problems to report of
This is good to know. I've got a DC 270XP, and when it's cold, it charges at 15.2V initially, and drops to about 14.7V after about 10 minutes of driving. I've got a yellowtop under the hood. I'll be pulling it out soon to sell the car, and I will not be purchasing a yellowtop for my new vehicle the DC will go in

This is good to know. I've got a DC 270XP, and when it's cold, it charges at 15.2V initially, and drops to about 14.7V after about 10 minutes of driving. I've got a yellowtop under the hood. I'll be pulling it out soon to sell the car, and I will not be purchasing a yellowtop for my new vehicle the DC will go in
What battery should I go for under the hood?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.