HELP with ACTIVE Setup: Hertz HSK 165XL + Helix 8 DSP

Participant count
  • Participant list

mb.kompre55

I will start this system build soon and want to know exactly what I'm doing before I start..  It will be my first time setting up an Active System and I need to know exactly how everything should wired. 

Headunit:  PIONEER AVH-X7800BT 7"

Front Stage:   Hertz HSK 165XL 6.5" Component Speakers

Rear Stage:    None

Subwoofer:    Sundown Audio SA-12 750W SA Series  (Dual 2-ohm)   

*Subwoofer box built & tuned specifically for this subwoofer 

Subwoofer Amp:  P1000.1 (Monoblock) 

Speakers Amp:    P900.1 (4 channel)

DSP:   Helix 8 Ch. 

How do you set this up for a proper Active system?   The Hertz speakers come included with passive crossovers. I'm assuming I will not be using those crossovers and instead will treat the tweeters as their own stage and the components in the front doors as their own separate stage. Please correct me if this is wrong 

You are correct you dont want to use your Hertz crossovers. You will use the crossovers built into the helix dsp.

You could do active with just the pioneer of you haven't bought the helix. You wont get as much EQ options and using a computer to set things up is easier, but I'm running active with a cheaper pioneer with fair results

I will advise not to cross the tweeters below 2600hz as to protect them.

Your mids might can play higher and allow you to cross the tweets higher but that is install and speaker dependent

I think on mine my mids are crossed at 2500hz with a 6db slope and the tweets are at 2600 with a 24db slope. This allowed for some overlapping but very minimal

You are correct you dont want to use your Hertz crossovers. You will use the crossovers built into the helix dsp.

You could do active with just the pioneer of you haven't bought the helix. You wont get as much EQ options and using a computer to set things up is easier, but I'm running active with a cheaper pioneer with fair results

I will advise not to cross the tweeters below 2600hz as to protect them.

Your mids might can play higher and allow you to cross the tweets higher but that is install and speaker dependent

I think on mine my mids are crossed at 2500hz with a 6db slope and the tweets are at 2600 with a 24db slope. This allowed for some overlapping but very minimal
I have all of this equipment in hand already so I will be using the Helix DSP 
thanks for the pointer on the tweeter , will keep that in mind when tuning 

I have all of this equipment in hand already so I will be using the Helix DSP 
thanks for the pointer on the tweeter , will keep that in mind when tuning 
In my opinion I would get an Rta to set the EQ left to right and normalize the sound curve then use the EQ on the headunit fo adjust it to your taste. 

The dsp in the helix will give you much fiber control then typically needed to adjust for taste and adjusting the helix for taste will be a headache because it has so many adjustment points

I also find that I can bump my midrange up to an 80hz high pass and let my subs play up to 80hz if I want more mid bass kick for rock music.

Typically I cross at 60hz so the subs dont become overbearing in the midbass range

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.