Help wiring a Sony CDX-R77

Participant count
  • Participant list

Joko007

CarAudio.com Newbie
Asia
Hello,

I found an old Sony CDX-R77 and would like to install it in my Suzuki SX4 Sedan.

I have a few questions...

1. Do I have to use an amplifier?
It came with one, but it's heavy and bulky, and if it has a built-in decent AMP, I'd rather just keep it like that.

2. Will it be fairly easy to wire up?
I have installed an aftermarket unit before, but it was a modern unit and only required stripping wires, matching to the harness (color to color) and crimping them together.

3. How will the sound compare with modern unites priced up to $100?

4. It has an AUX (in) connection from the back (split)... Will I be able to simply connect a split adapter (already have one for my home stereo) and connect my phone and play?

Not sure I even know which questions to ask... It's a pretty old unit from the 80/90s so if there is anything else I should know, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

The Sony CD player that I bought in 1989 for $550 skipped like a bitchh. I could only play CD's when I was parked. I think a modern $100 CD player with bluetooth would be a better choice.

The Sony CD player that I bought in 1989 for $550 skipped like a bitchh. I could only play CD's when I was parked. I think a modern $100 CD player with bluetooth would be a better choice.

Actually my plan is to mostly stream from my phone over auxiliary (which is possible from the back, I'll have to see how to neatly wire it). So if the sound quality (with stock economy car speakers) is equal to or better than a ~$100 stereo, I'd rather stick with it for savings and also a cool retro aesthetic which I like.
However, if the sound quality can be beaten by a ~$50 modern stereo, I might reconsider.

Actually my plan is to mostly stream from my phone over auxiliary (which is possible from the back, I'll have to see how to neatly wire it). So if the sound quality (with stock economy car speakers) is equal to or better than a ~$100 stereo, I'd rather stick with it for savings and also a cool retro aesthetic which I like.
However, if the sound quality can be beaten by a ~$50 modern stereo, I might reconsider.

I'm sure the sound quality will be fine with the old school Sony.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...