help wiring a front stage

Participant count
  • Participant list
how can i hook up 2 tweets and 2 mids like some 6.5s on each door panel to the front? without going active. i wanted to use a 4 channel or two 2 channels.. and not use back speakers. I have never dealt with components but want to design my own. I don't want to buy a set already assembled. i know about crossover points and passive crossovers but dont understand the wring process if i use passive crossovers theres only 1 tweeter connection spot not 2.. someone explain please lol

how can i hook up 2 tweets and 2 mids like some 6.5s on each door panel to the front? without going active. i wanted to use a 4 channel or two 2 channels.. and not use back speakers. I have never dealt with components but want to design my own. I don't want to buy a set already assembled. i know about crossover points and passive crossovers but dont understand the wring process if i use passive crossovers theres only 1 tweeter connection spot not 2.. someone explain please lol

Connect them in series or parrallel on the same ouput (You'll want to figure out the resistance and match with your amp)

You'll hook two tweeters into the tweeter output

and two midbass into the midbass output - the final load will depend on which speakers you choose and which way you hook them up. Just match the amp and you'll be good to go. Why not go active though?

well lets say i have a 3 way passive crossover for each door in the front with 1 tweeter connection and 1 midbass 1 woofer. how do i run 2 tweeters (in parallel) to that 1 connection on the passive crossover? if i ran 2 tweeters in parallel to that 1 connection then id be missing a crossover point in between those tweeters before it got to the passive crossover itself. Does the passive crossover connection count for both the tweeters connected in parallel? same with the midbass connection, can i run 2 in parallel to that 1 passive crossover

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

i may be just over thinking things i dont know but its got me confused lol.

once you change the load impedance on the passive crossover by wiring like drivers in series or parallel, you put the crossover points and rolloff/in out of whack and can likely cause irreversible damage,.. passive crossovers are built solely to operate at specific impedances

best thing to do is run two full sets of crossovers and drivers per door and wire the crossover inputs however you like

well lets say i have a 3 way passive crossover for each door in the front with 1 tweeter connection and 1 midbass 1 woofer. how do i run 2 tweeters (in parallel) to that 1 connection on the passive crossover? if i ran 2 tweeters in parallel to that 1 connection then id be missing a crossover point in between those tweeters before it got to the passive crossover itself. Does the passive crossover connection count for both the tweeters connected in parallel? same with the midbass connection, can i run 2 in parallel to that 1 passive crossover 

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

i may be just over thinking things i dont know but its got me confused lol.
You can't connect multiple speakers to a single passive crossover unless it was designed for the combined impedances. Like if you parallel two 4 ohm mids the crossover would have to be designed for 2 ohms. Better to use 2 3-way crossovers and parallel them at the inputs so the amp sees 2 ohms but the crossovers see 4 ohm speakers.

Or... use 8 ohm speakers and tweets so when they're paralleled they respond as 4 ohms to the crossover.

once you change the load impedance on the passive crossover by wiring like drivers in series or parallel, you put the crossover points and rolloff/in out of whack and can likely cause irreversible damage,.. passive crossovers are built solely to operate at specific impedances
best thing to do is run two full sets of crossovers and drivers per door and wire the crossover inputs however you like
You can match the impedence by using different drivers though, for example I have ran a passive crossover meant for a single woofer at 4ohms with two 8ohm woofers wired parrallel to create a 4ohm load. It sounded fine to me.. but that was to my ears so perhaps it isn't the best way to do things. I don't run passive anymore so it doesn't really matter anymore but good to know this information! Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.