apline MRV-M500 - Causing spark when I connect speaker wire to subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

SeanTX

I have an Alpine MRV-M500 powering my subwoofer - Have checked ground connections, and everything else I can think of but when I connect the speaker wire I get a spark from the connection. Then, when I turned on the radio, the voicecoil started MELTING!!! Please help, not sure what else I can test to isolate the issue.

I have an Alpine MRV-M500 powering my subwoofer - Have checked ground connections, and everything else I can think of but when I connect the speaker wire I get a spark from the connection. Then, when I turned on the radio, the voicecoil started MELTING!!! Please help, not sure what else I can test to isolate the issue.
sounds really weird, possibly its an amp issue, use a DMM and set it to AC V, look for anything unusual while playing a constant bass tone (DO NOT HAVE SPEAKER HOOKED WHILE DOING THIS)

That can happen if you are hooking up speaker wire while amp is on.

Is the amp on when connecting the wire? If so, you can damage the amp doing that.

If the amp is doing that off, then sounds like it's damaged internally and can cause parasitic drain in vehicle.

You also mention the voice coil starting to melt.

If the voice coil is melting, what is happening to the tinsel leads?

If you are going to measure output voltage, you might want to set it to DC Voltage because this kind of issue sounds like the amplifier is no longer putting out an AC signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.