Help wire 100w amp to 12v/Cigarette Lighter

Participant count
  • Participant list

Carice222

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
So i have 100w 10 amp amplifier sub setup the Alpine SWE-815
I heard on my 8th gen civic i can wire it to the rear cigarette lighter but it has a negative and positive.
What am i meant to wire to the negative of the cigarette/12v line?
The power wire from the amp must go on the positive but what goes to the negative?

Help apprecited.

Your seriously trying to wire a amp to a cig lighter?
Many on my car forum group have like they say its rated at 180w at 15amps.
Maximum from amp is 150w 100w rms 10 amps so i don't see the problem also many successfully done for long time, for anything higher power yes i wouldn't ask. Im just going by the collective.

If there is a 15 amp fuse in the box for the cigarette lighter, it should be Ok. 100 watts won’t pull more than 15 amps. I’ve never done this, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I would be a little apprehensive personally. The wires are fairly small, and could have problems running a continuous current.

Many on my car forum group have like they say its rated at 180w at 15amps.
Maximum from amp is 150w 100w rms 10 amps so i don't see the problem also many successfully done for long time, for anything higher power yes i wouldn't ask. Im just going by the collective.

Amps in general for automotive are rated for 12v minimum, so you wiring to a cig lighter with 16 guage wires will see an enormous power issue.

What you may think is 100 watts rms will really be near 25-30 watts rms.

Cars that come with 220v outlets might be able to handle a large tv, but picking voltage up doesnt require high amperage.

You and the people that you talk to might have made it work, but it will be a waste of money for an amp and setup if your gonna go thru the trouble of building a system.

You ground the amp to the body, there should already be one connected to the cigarette lighter. I don't recommend it, but it's your problem not ours ;)

Amps in general for automotive are rated for 12v minimum, so you wiring to a cig lighter with 16 guage wires will see an enormous power issue.

What you may think is 100 watts rms will really be near 25-30 watts rms.

Cars that come with 220v outlets might be able to handle a large tv, but picking voltage up doesnt require high amperage.

You and the people that you talk to might have made it work, but it will be a waste of money for an amp and setup if your gonna go thru the trouble of building a system.
Thanks best explanation yet very helpful. I did order a distribution block so can hook up 10awg to 4awg already hooked to battery so that will be great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.