HELP! Voltage suddenly drops to 10 and amp clips.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Guyver
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Alright, all of a sudden my amp is clipping at mid volume whenever the bass drops. It will drop as low as 10v and the sub will start popping to the point where I have to lower the volume. This never happen before. Can it be a bad amp? Light doesn't dim, car idles fine, runs fine. Time for Electrical upgrade?

System:

Stock alternator

15 ssa xcon

CT sounds 1400

XS power big 3 O gauge

Pioneer AVH 4800

Stock battery

Alright...probably will check it tomorrow after work.
Start with a DMM test on your battery while car's at operating temperature to see if your alternator is still producing juice. Beyond that, recheck your power connection under the hood and at the amp. You sure it's the amp? Maybe your sub wiring came loose. Throwing s*it out there.

I checked under the hood, the back and all wires were fine...connection is still tight and secure, no corrosion anywhere. My voltage is still at 14.2 while on idle and the last thing I haven't checked is the sub wiring inside the box, thanks for the advice! I have never thought about it. It's dark now so I'll have to do it tomorrow. Thanks!

Start with a DMM test on your battery while car's at operating temperature to see if your alternator is still producing juice. Beyond that, recheck your power connection under the hood and at the amp. You sure it's the amp? Maybe your sub wiring came loose. Throwing s*it out there.

Yes, 13.5 is in the normal range.

In my experience alts don't necessarily just die.

I had one once that left me dead on the road, but when I removed it and took it to the parts store for warranty replacement it tested fine, but under the hood conditions and an in-service electrical demand -- it was no good.

You're dropping to 10v but your vehicle is not dimming lights at all?

Assuming that means the car is not experiencing this voltage drop at all and only the amplifier is... That means or sounds like a fire is about to happen..

Such HIGH resistance in an isolated area is very dangerous.

Ground, fuse block.. something very near is about to go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.