Help using an external hard drive with a stereo system

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I've been searching and searching and found possibilities but nothing concrete yet. I'm open to any option...any diy option. I currently drive a 2002 Nissan frontier 4 Dr 4 we 6cyl crew cab.

I have an ipod classic but they are discontinued but want something bigger but the days of personnel music seem to be fading.seems everything is shifting to streaming music. I'm not down for spending $10 a month on a limited amount of music. Especially when I have a large amount of my own music.

So this is where I get to trying to use and external hard drive on a car stereo system. I know the problems with hard drives. I'm strictly using solid state drives as they will handle the bumps of the road.

I know you have to use a 3rd party program to format the drive to fat32 given the SSD I'm using is 264gb.

I know a lot of standard decks that can deal with harddrives it takes 7ish seconds per gig to load per startup making it not practical .

What I want is a deck that handles large harddrives and can load them quickly. I want to play music and videos. But Im open to either or. If I can only play music then I can live with that.

A deck would be ideal but I have also looked at builds where people have used tablets like the nexus 7 with a bunch of connections as a stereo deck . I haven't found if I can connect a SSD to it yet. I know you can connect Bluetooth to it so maybe connect Bluetooth and then the SSD to something else connecting it thru bluetooth?

I have 4 speakers (2 front 2 back) I'd like to connect and a 10 inch sub in the back.

Any ideas...points of intersts...anything that helps is well appreciated. I hate being forced into something I don't want.

I like the tablet idea because it seems you can customize that more than a standard deck.

Thanks for the help. If I can think of any other details I'll post them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.