Help Upgrading Audio on Tight Budget

I mean.. Buy what yu can now for what you have to spend/ budget wise, and get pretty decent gear and buy a little at a time when you can. Buying used amplifiers is a great Money saver also if you find a seller with a good reputation. I have older amplifiers that I sell, that are pretty clean and I can cut you a deal on a great amplifier that will perform very well if not cleaner SQ than most of todays amplifiers .If you want new .. its going to be a hunt within the budget you have and may get less quality than a good used amplifier at times. The majority of new amplifiers are more efficient than the older Class A/B, but lack quality control/ Cookie Cutter amplifiers I call them, and not made in the Good Ole USA any more

Ok, here's what I'm thinking now (yes, still haven't decided):

Front Speakers: Polk Audio DB5252 300 Watts 5.25" Marine Car Component Speaker System 5-1/4" New
Amp: Amazon.com: Rockville RVF-2 1200w Peak/300w Dyno-Certified RMS 4 Channel Car Amplifier Stereo Amp
Head Unit: JVC KD-X370BTS Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield
Sub: NEW SKAR AUDIO SDR-1X12D2 1200 WATT SINGLE 12" LOADED VENTED SUBWOOFER ENCLOSURE 655036034217 | eBay
Wiring Kit: KnuKonceptz TRUE 4 Gauge 4 Channel Kolossus OFC Amp Installation Wiring Kit

What are your thoughts (especially on the sub)? Planning on leaving the stock rears. Also, would the 4 channel amp be necessary, or would 2 be fine just for the front stage? Is there anything else that I need to get to make the system work? Also, I wanted to reference your earlier post with what you would purchase on a budget but the links seem to be dead, and I might be interested in buying an amp from you depending on the quality & price of the one I selected.

Also, I apologize for the inactivity

Last edited:
First you need more then a 2 channel amplifier. To do it RIGHT you should at least do the 2 channel amplifier and a monoblock for a subwoofer. Also you can do so much better then Rockville and Skar. Build your own enclosure pay someone for a design and the sound difference will be worth it. Also why 5.25? Can you not fit 6.5 component system?

First you need more then a 2 channel amplifier. To do it RIGHT you should at least do the 2 channel amplifier and a monoblock for a subwoofer. Also you can do so much better then Rockville and Skar. Build your own enclosure pay someone for a design and the sound difference will be worth it. Also why 5.25? Can you not fit 6.5 component system?

Hmm okay. In that case, I might spend the money on a quality 4 channel, bridge the rears, and buy a separate sub and enclosure.. Something like this Kicker 43TC104 Ported truck enclosure with one 4-ohm 10" Comp subwoofer at Crutchfield and SOUNDSTREAM AR4.1200 4 CHANNEL 1200 WATT CAR STEREO AMP SUB/SPEAKER AB AMPLIFIER 709483054134 | eBay ? Is 10" enough?

Yeah, my doors are really shallow so while they are 6.5" in the front, most 6.5s won't fit because of the door depth.

Last edited:
Idk how you are linking but when you click those links they just go direct to the eBay page. What exactly is the budget for amplifiers? Still think a mono block and a 2 or 4 channel is better then just doing the one. 4 channel so you can put the tweeters on channels 1 & 2 then the 5.25s or w/e you use on channels 3 & 4 then a mono block for the subwoofer. If money is an issue then save up some more then so you can do it right the 1st time so you are not re-doing it again next year.

Also those are not powerful enough to even try to run a subwoofer along with a set of components. Need to look at higher power amplifiers.

Idk how you are linking but when you click those links they just go direct to the eBay page. What exactly is the budget for amplifiers? Still think a mono block and a 2 or 4 channel is better then just doing the one. 4 channel so you can put the tweeters on channels 1 & 2 then the 5.25s or w/e you use on channels 3 & 4 then a mono block for the subwoofer. If money is an issue then save up some more then so you can do it right the 1st time so you are not re-doing it again next year.

Also those are not powerful enough to even try to run a subwoofer along with a set of components. Need to look at higher power amplifiers.

The total budget for everything is about $600, which is more than I wanted to spend in the first place, and I don't really plan to spend more in the future. I'm not looking for the best sound system in the world, just something that sounds pretty good and doesn't break the bank. I was thinking like $150 max for the amp? Unless it's better to get a more expensive amp and a cheaper sub. I don't think I could afford a mono channel sub and a 4 channel with my budget unless both are quite cheap.

Fixed the links in the last few of my posts. For whatever reason, this site does not like eBay links.

I would be looking at 5 channel amplifier then of some sort. That would be your 4 channel and monoblock amplifier all in one.

NVX does what they claim it is 219 though and only is a 2 ohm so you would need a Dual 4 ohm and wire it to 2 ohm that way if you ever wanted another subwoofer of the same build and wanted to upgrade the amp to a monoblock you could then run 1 ohm with your 2 subwoofers.

Also has a 15% off coupon

And last but not least go to DIYMA put up a WTB 5 channel add in the classified sections with a max budget of say 200 bucks shipped and I am willing to bet someone has something you can use. They sell a ton of stuff there all the time. I've bought used items there and every time the quality looks like it was brand new from the box.

Okay I've had it,lol. I am going to send you a PM with all the links and see if it works that way.

Last edited:
Got it all fixed in the last PM. Links are working with the make and model. All within 150-220 as well. I would be bidding on that Kenwood that is at 72 dollars right now. Might get lucky and get it for under 150. GL!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...