Help understanding output vs volume

Participant count
  • Participants list
Thank you all for the help and input. If a speaker is hooked up can u measure watts with Multi Meter if u touch the leads on the amp?
No, the proper way to measure is with a clamp test with a fluke clamp meter, oscilloscope to measure distortion levels and a multimeter however thats for a sine wave at a certain db level in the recording. Brief lesson on recording levels, 0 db is extremely high, most music is recorded using anywhere from -24 to 0 db at any frequency 20hz to 20khz imagine how many millions of combinations of that are in one song. These db levels directly affect your input signal and power output of your amp and how much current you actually draw. Your amp outputs max power and draws the most current at a 0 db sine wave borderline clipping, however most music is in the -15 to - 5 db territory for short bursts, the actual real world power and current draw is VASTLY smaller than you can ever imagine now pair all that with the concept of impedance rise, even wired to 1 ohm, youll never see 1 ohm, your rise is usually triple or more which means EVEN LESS actual power and current draw. You are listening to music not a sine wave so theres really no point in you trying to find out the way you are doing unless you are competing in a clamped power class in a bass competition.

By the end of all these real world factors any 1000 watt amp is literally just outputing 50 to 300ish watts on music at best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.