help understanding amps

corykins

I've recently install a new Sony radio and 4 Pioneer TS-A1675R speakers in my car, I've been complemplating some 10' subs but I've been told I need an amp.

I'm looking at a 2 channel fosgate punch 250a from my friend, what kind of sub specs would that amp be sufficient for and I don't know much about amps but can't I use it to boost the power to the speakers as well?

what are the channels for? is 4 better?

I've recently install a new Sony radio and 4 Pioneer TS-A1675R speakers in my car, I've been complemplating some 10' subs but I've been told I need an amp.
I'm looking at a 2 channel fosgate punch 250a from my friend, what kind of sub specs would that amp be sufficient for and I don't know much about amps but can't I use it to boost the power to the speakers as well?

what are the channels for? is 4 better?
I'd do some reading around this forum first if I were you..

do a little research on googles or you tubes, to get some understanding. then, when you come back here, you will be able to understand the responses you may receive to help you with your build/s. the fun part is the research.

now, you seem to be newer than I am at this stuff, but here we go.

an amplifier dies just that, amplifies. you buy them for applications where the signal from a source is not sufficient to drive a speaker.

now, if you want subs, then you will need an amplifier. most head units, or radios, cannot drive more than four door speakers alone, but usually have an rca output on the back if it's an aftermarket unit.

the amplifier you are looking at is a two channel amplifier that putsout roughly 60 watts by 2 channels at 4 ohms, meaning that 2 subs with a four ohm impedance can be wired one power channel and will receive sixty watts of power each.

to answer the next part of your post, you could run door speakers off of that amplifier, but not at the same time as the subwoofers.

if you plan to run subs from an amp like that, you'll need to turn on the amplifier low pass filter to remove any higher frequencies that the subs cannot reproduce effectively.

next, the number of channels are simply the number of speakers the unit can drive if you hook up one per channel.

most subwoofer amps are mono, or one. but it's okay to use a multi channel amplifier to run subwoofers, as long as you can filter out the lower frequencies.

the next consideration is power, make sure you can run at least 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp, and make sure you use fuses, unless you like having 1300 degree wire burning your car if something goes wrong.

hopefully that's a spring board for you to learn from, and best of luck.

That amp could power a 250 watt 4 ohm sub, but that's about it. And no, you can't run a sub and speakers with it at the same time.

Number of channels is how many outputs it has - stereo left & right is 2 channels... stereo front & rear is 4 channels, etc. That amp allows combining the 2 channels into one (called bridging) for a sub.

Keep researching.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.