Fried my car!

adjritch

i installed 6.5 inch kickers in my 2008 subaru legacy. the hu was not enough to power them so after installing a scosche loc to add rca's. i then installed a small amp to power the rear door speakers. ***Problem is that i merely tied into the rear door speaker wires leaving a connection back to head unit. thought something wasnt right and somehow talked myself into trying it anyway. when i turned on it made a couple nasty sounds, i smelled burnt wires then hu shutoff. now i have no power in car at all. wont start wont do anything!!!! what have i done???

How is your amp's power/ground/remote wired? The rcas should be for the amp input if im not mistaken, don't know what in hell you wired wait you wired the output from your amp to your car's stock speaker wire? If thats the case ur lucky no car burn down....also your HU is most likely fuqd

I don't know where to begin here. I guess check fuses first. disconnect the amp ask for advice next time before install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

disconnect whatever you did then run through the fuse panel and replace all burnt fuses. still might not save the deck though if that **** happened.

disconnect your battery first.

disconnect all of your amp, speaker, and head unit wiring to eliminate any possible shorts.

next, check all of your fuses located both in the kick panel, under the hood, and on the amp and head unit.

replace any blown fuses, then reconnect the battery and check for power to the car.

if no power, see mechanic or ask in a mechanics forum, if power, reconnect head unit and check it for power.

if hu has power, good. count your blessings.

next, apply amp power and ground to check for function ( make sure your disconnecting the battery between these steps)

if you need to, use about 6" of 20+ gauge wire from amp power to hu turnon input.

if amp has power, awesome! if not, can't win em all.

to test the speakers, use one of those multimeters on ohm setting. if it reads either zero ohms, or infinite ohms, theyare blown.

if it reads standard ohms for the type of speaker, lucky you! :).

next step is to replace what's broken, but new wires and inline fuses, and never connect an amps output wires to anything other than a straight connection to the speakers.

but. to explain what happened, you must likely completed a circuit from battery, to amp, to wires, to head unit, through ground, then back to battery.

and thus, cooked wires, blown fuses, and a lot of trouble.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adjritch

adjritch
washington, in
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Killer43