Help testing speaker wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

sgt_spike

CarAudio.com Newbie
'04 Dodge Ram 1500

The speakers located on the back seat doors, have stopped working. I pulled them out to test if the speakers are blown. I tested them with a battery and I get ******* action. I assume that means they are not blown. Is there another way to test them? Can I connect them to a home receiver to see if sound comes through?

Since I get a good result with the battery, how do I test the wires to ensure the wires are not the problem?

You can connect the speakers to your home theatre to test them so long as your receiver can handle a 4 ohm driver.

You can test wires with ohmmeter. Disconnect the wires from the deck and the speaker. You should not have continuity between the two wires or between either wire and ground. Then short the wires on one end and confirm you have very low resistance between the wires on the other end.

How did you do the battery test? If you disconnect the wires from the amp/source unit and use those ends for this test that should tell you. You’ll probably have to check all connections anyway. Chances of the wire itself being an issue are slim unless it’s old copper coated aluminum.

I’m assuming you went through settings and don’t have the fader set all the way to the front etc. but if you haven’t that’d be a good place to start.

How did you do the battery test? If you disconnect the wires from the amp/source unit and use those ends for this test that should tell you. You’ll probably have to check all connections anyway. Chances of the wire itself being an issue are slim unless it’s old copper coated aluminum.

I’m assuming you went through settings and don’t have the fader set all the way to the front etc. but if you haven’t that’d be a good place to start.
I tested my truck speaker in the way you suggested. Duh...I didn't even think to test them that way. Thanks for that assist.

When tested, the rear left work although opposite polarity. The right, on the other hand, didn't work at all. So it seems the wire to the right rear speaker is messed up somehow.

The question I have now is how hard is it to replace the factory installed speaker wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...