Help!!! Subsonic filter!!

Participant count
  • Participants list

Frāmrāt

CarAudio.com Newbie
Here is my question....when using an epicenter with an active PFM subsonic filter(35hz, 50hz,80hz), should the subsonic filter on the amplifier match the subsonic filter on the epicenter? Should one or the other be set higher/lower than the other? The FS on my sub is 34.89hz. Ported box...12" subs...ft³ a little under recommended for ported. Also....the epicenter has settings on main unit and knob only has one control...do I have to have knob installed? (Soundstream BX-108Z)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-082739.png
    Screenshot_20200725-082739.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20200725-090010.png
    Screenshot_20200725-090010.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 288
You only need to use one of the filters. I would use the filter that has the most adjustability. All things being equal I would us the filter on the epicenter, controls are probably easier to access and as a stand-alone unit probably has better components.

You only need to use one of the filters. I would use the filter that has the most adjustability. All things being equal I would us the filter on the epicenter, controls are probably easier to access and as a stand-alone unit probably has better components.
So turn the subsonic filter on the amplifier"off" or to it's highest setting?

It sounds like the amp has more adjustability. If you want to set it lower than 35 hz. I am not sure where to set the frequency at because I have never used one. Also the frequency will be in relation to the tuning frequency of the box. I don’t know if it should be the same frequency or a little higher or lower. It should be close to it I think. I competed in sound quality competition back in the 90’s and I used a sealed box. My sub was crossed over at 50 hz with no subsonic filter. The characteristics of different types of boxes dictate the need for a subsonic filter. If you want to read up on boxes check this out https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ed-Enclosure-Characteristics?mobile_site=true

It sounds like the amp has more adjustability. If you want to set it lower than 35 hz. I am not sure where to set the frequency at because I have never used one. Also the frequency will be in relation to the tuning frequency of the box. I don’t know if it should be the same frequency or a little higher or lower. It should be close to it I think. I competed in sound quality competition back in the 90’s and I used a sealed box. My sub was crossed over at 50 hz with no subsonic filter. The characteristics of different types of boxes dictate the need for a subsonic filter. If you want to read up on boxes check this out https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...ed-Enclosure-Characteristics?mobile_site=true
The amp has a lower subsonic adjustability starting at 10hz going up to 50 but no numbers or marks to indicate which frequency you're set to so it's a guessing game. The epicenter has a switch that shows exactly what frequency the subsonic is set to. The amp can go down to 10hz whereas the epicenter can only subsonicaly go down to 35 but the FS of my subs is 34.89hz and my box is tuned to 36.5 hz so I'm going to use the subsonic on the epicenter at 35hz, find 35hz on the sweep and use a little bit wider selection on the WIDE adjustment knob. Considering my box is tuned to 36hz, I feel this is the best way since I won't use below 30hz if I used the amp subsonic anyway.

The amp has a lower subsonic adjustability starting at 10hz going up to 50 but no numbers or marks to indicate which frequency you're set to so it's a guessing game. The epicenter has a switch that shows exactly what frequency the subsonic is set to. The amp can go down to 10hz whereas the epicenter can only subsonicaly go down to 35 but the FS of my subs is 34.89hz and my box is tuned to 36.5 hz so I'm going to use the subsonic on the epicenter at 35hz, find 35hz on the sweep and use a little bit wider selection on the WIDE adjustment knob. Considering my box is tuned to 36hz, I feel this is the best way since I won't use below 30hz if I used the amp subsonic anyway.
Sounds like a plan 👍 let us know how it goes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.