Golf GTI

Hey guys I'm looking to do a small system in my wife's car. She drives a 2004 Golf hatchback. Im going to run a small 5 channel JL Audio HD 900/5. The fronts have Alpine R series components while the rears have Alpine S series coaxial. Next thing I'm going to do is add a subwoofer and build a 4th order box. I only have 500RMS to play with from 1.5ohms to 4ohms. I'm thinking of getting either a 12w6v3 or 10w7. My question is which will bang the hardest on the power I have in a 4th order?

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm looking to do a small system in my wife's car. She drives a 2004 Golf hatchback. Im going to run a small 5 channel JL Audio HD 900/5. The fronts have Alpine R series components while the rears have Alpine S series coaxial. Next thing I'm going to do is add a subwoofer and build a 4th order box. I only have 500RMS to play with from 1.5ohms to 4ohms. I'm thinking of getting either a 12v6v3 or 10w7. My question is which will bang the hardest on the power I have in a 4th order?
One vote for the w7.

There is a local guy selling the Focal FPX 5.1200 for $350 link is below. Was thinking of grabbing that and selling the JL amp using the money for the sub and box. The thing I don't understand is at 4ohms it says CEA power of 420RMS on the sub stage but at 2 ohms it says maximum power of 720RMS on the sub stage. Does that mean in a perfect world of running at 14.4 volts at all time? What would be real life RMS at 2ohms?

Does that mean in a perfect world of running at 14.4 volts at all time? What would be real life RMS at 2ohms?
I would guess 600 watts rms on sub channel and 100 watts rms on each full channel. That Focal is a good deal, I say it is of the same quality as the JL Audio but more power. People whom have used JL for the first time are usually impressed at how much stronger it sounds than others at the same ratings, so I say 500 JL watts are nothing to sneeze at. But then again, I do not know if it can handle the 1.5 ohm load of the W7, same goes for the Focal. Maybe the W6 is a better choice for either amp. Whichever amp you choose, you will be ok.

I don’t know about the subs because of the enclosure but that JL amp should be American made and I would put money on the Focal being Chinese or Korean. Also the fact that the ratings are different in 2 separate places usually means the lowest rating is the most you should expect. If JL says RMS then it is the least you should expect. I know they are like the HK of Audio but quality is quality
One vote for the w7.

Im gonna see how much they are and if its worth selling the HD 900/5 Im sure a W6 will sound better off 1000 than 500
On an earlier thread, there were members saying that there were no modern 5 channel amps that did 1kw rms on sub channel. I thought it correct for the last one I saw of that power was an old Memphis Belle. Is the d5.1500 also an Focal?

What about the d5.1500? It has good 125x4 @ 4ohms for speakers and if I go with the W6 it will do 1000RMS @ 2ohms
Never seen the DD 5 channel in action but I've also never heard of DD putting their name on a crap amp so I'd expect it to do at least what they claim it will. I would not even consider running 1500W sub channel into a single W6 (that's a 500w sub IMO) and anything over 1000W is risky on a W7 particularly a 10". Might as well just pick up a DD3510 or 3512 at that rate and go DD all around. They really do sound good on music in the DD box (that is assuming you define "music" as stuff played with instruments and not some knuckle dragger bragging about his penis and committing violent crimes over a 30hz sine wave).

Never seen the DD 5 channel in action but I've also never heard of DD putting their name on a crap amp so I'd expect it to do at least what they claim it will. I would not even consider running 1500W sub channel into a single W6 (that's a 500w sub IMO) and anything over 1000W is risky on a W7 particularly a 10". Might as well just pick up a DD3510 or 3512 at that rate and go DD all around. They really do sound good on music in the DD box (that is assuming you define "music" as stuff played with instruments and not some knuckle dragger bragging about his penis and committing violent crimes over a 30hz sine wave).

Well the W6 only comes in d4 which if I do get the Digital Designs amp it will be ran at 1000RMS @ 2ohms. The Focal FPX is there mid tier amp so I'm not sure if it will even do its rated power on the sub channel. I still have the Rockford T1000X5AD in the back of my mind as Ive seen it on the SMD dyno putting out over 700+ RMS. Only thing about the Rockford I read is that it runs very hot and sometimes shutsoff otherwise this is a pretty good match to run the W6 at 2ohms.

Out of the Digitial Designs, Rockford, and JL HD which would you run?

That is completely unacceptable in this day and age IMO. I'd go for the DD amp but as you say it won't work with any of the JL subs.

I was watching youtube video on it and it seems like the rockford does rated piwer but just runs very hot and I read reviews it shuts off.

The other amps wont work well with the W7 except the digital design. The W7 has to be wired at 3ohms and the digital designs amp does 840 @ 3ohms. The W6 has dual 4 voice coil so that I can wire to 2 ohms. The W6 is what I'm gonna go for. Great SQ sub and also it doesn't require a very big box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.