Help. Subs pulsing rapidly at high volumes but no sound

OP, your asking the same questions over and over again.
Just take our suggestions and see if that works.

I don't particularly see how this is asking the same question over and over....

I'm trying to understand how I could have a bad ground, if all I did was replace an amp and remove a line out converter.

I'm also seeing if there are other things I should check while I'm out there instead of running back and forth to the internet and hoping somebody helpful like Papermaier sees my post. I have a landscaping company, and two little boys under 3 yrs old so I have to make the most of my time while I'm outside since I don't necessarily get to go out and "**** with my truck" whenever I want, as my wife calls it

I do very much appreciate the help.

Thanks!!

Bad grounds. It happens. Or it's not grounded properly. Dunno how else to say it.

Just check the things already mentioned to ya and go from there. I dunno why you keep questioning everything else and not taking our advice. That's being stubborn.

If that's the route your gonna take then your on your own. I don't play those games.

Bad grounds. It happens. Or it's not grounded properly. Dunno how else to say it.
Just check the things already mentioned to ya and go from there. I dunno why you keep questioning everything else and not taking our advice. That's being stubborn.

If that's the route your gonna take then your on your own. I don't play those games.

It's possible I'm not relaying the question in the correct manner, or the cadence of the conversation is being lost through Internet typed message.

I'm totally new to this, so when it's suggested to "check grounds," I don't totally know what that process entails.

I'm not being stubborn. I'm defiinetly going to fix the grounds, as per your and paper makers advice. I haven't yet had a chance to do so. I'm more trying to understand what I am to be checking, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Also if that speaker wire converter I taped should be addressed, because if there are more than a few things I should be looking at, it would be much easier for me to do it all at once.

Ok, you need to mention little things like that. So that we can help diagnose the issue(s). Checking grounds. It could be as simple as a lose bolt/screw(s) that isn't tight or the ground isn't bare metal, it can happen as some people may now know these things. Not saying you did anything wrong. But the ground thing is what I would check. Maybe the wire is lose in the lug terminal and wasn't tight enough. Anything ground lose will cause a few to a lot of issues.

Ok, you need to mention little things like that. So that we can help diagnose the issue(s). Checking grounds. It could be as simple as a lose bolt/screw(s) that isn't tight or the ground isn't bare metal, it can happen as some people may now know these things. Not saying you did anything wrong. But the ground thing is what I would check. Maybe the wire is lose in the lug terminal and wasn't tight enough. Anything ground lose will cause a few to a lot of issues.
Awesome. I'll look at it for sure. Trying to explain what all has happened/changed to get the experts as much facts as possible.

It's entirely likely I have my amp settings sooo jacked up too. I really have zero idea what I should be setting my amp up at. I don't even know a good place to start. I'm sure there are multiple threads on it that I should be reading, but didn't know if there was a good "general setting" that I should start from then adjust from there?

I've read the term "clipping" and different gain issues and I don't think I would know what clipping was if I was hearing it as I typed this

i had this happened to me. at lower volumes its all fine but when i turn it up it starts to vigorously pumping with no sound at all and it wont stop until i turn my car off. idk if this is happening to you or not but when i checked my hu the ground for my hu was barely crimped so it would be touching all sorts of things. check hu ground.

Okay, so I got a chance to play with it this evening. Grounds are good. I cleaned them up, removed any loose wiring and also the Allen screw had come loose at my amp. Not all the way. Just wasn't as tight as it could be. Didn't fix the issue but I will say it helped a little with the ground loop

I also put an ohm meter on my sub. It's reading 4 ohm. I could switch to 1 but my amp isn't 1ohm stable

I checked the voltage at the amp with my head unit volume turned up. It read 14.1 ish. Down into the really high 13's. I did notice that plying with my kicker "speaker to rca's" the ground loop would get worse or you could hear what I was messing with through the subwoofer. I am wondering if when I previously had the LOC installed, it was an el cheapo Scorsche, but the line out connected to my amp power, the ground wire location and also the remote wire. Does that mean my RCA's were grounded with the LOC?

Should I do that now and if so, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
i had this happened to me. at lower volumes its all fine but when i turn it up it starts to vigorously pumping with no sound at all and it wont stop until i turn my car off. idk if this is happening to you or not but when i checked my hu the ground for my hu was barely crimped so it would be touching all sorts of things. check hu ground.
Yes. That's pretty much exactly what it's doing. I have a factory head unit, but have the removal tools. I don't know where to look for my head unit ground. The only difference is wmine starts to quit hitting when I get to about 3/4 but it looks like the woofer is moving fairly rapidly but short throws. The bass starts hitting again when I turn the volume back down.

Any progress?

Okay, so I got a chance to play with it this evening. Grounds are good. I cleaned them up, removed any loose wiring and also the Allen screw had come loose at my amp. Not all the way. Just wasn't as tight as it could be. Didn't fix the issue but I will say it helped a little with the ground loop

I also put an ohm meter on my sub. It's reading 4 ohm. I could switch to 1 but my amp isn't 1ohm stable

I checked the voltage at the amp with my head unit volume turned up. It read 14.1 ish. Down into the really high 13's. I did notice that plying with my kicker "speaker to rca's" the ground loop would get worse or you could hear what I was messing with through the subwoofer. I am wondering if when I previously had the LOC installed, it was an el cheapo Scorsche, but the line out connected to my amp power, the ground wire location and also the remote wire. Does that mean my RCA's were grounded with the LOC?

Should I do that now and if so, how?

Are you trolling or being serious? Take a clear, perfectly exposed picture of your amp's ground connection and post it.
I'm being serious. Why I would troll my own thread looking for assistance? seems counterproductive. I checked my ground, resecurred everything and posted the other things I found out, but will certainly post a clear picture of my ground. That's not a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.