Is my voice coil rubbing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Roz99

So I bought an Alpine type R 15 for $5. A buddy told me it was blown and that it was pointless for him to have. So obviously I bought it because I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a look. It wasn't getting any power until I took off the push terminals and tried seeing if it was just those. Sure enough the thing gets power. I ended up just soldering right to the leads and when I put everything back in I applied even pressure to the coil and it doesn't rub. But if I play anything on it it does. Now the cone was also trashed so i just took it off and figured I could buy a new one and put it on later. Is it making a rubbing noise when it plays because there's no cone on it or is the coil actually rubbing? From what I can see it doesn't look like it's touching but I can't tell when it's moving. Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is the first time i've taken a sub apart...

Not making much sense here but if you had coil rub and was blown, it shouldn't play, at all.

Take a battery and test the coils. The cone should move.

Lastly, I don't think recones kits are avail for Alpine subs. You can check online, ebay, etc.

I'm sorry it's late and it's hard to make sense. The person I bought it from claimed it was "blown". It's not. The cone is off and the voice coil moves up and down with no rub when even pressure is applied. When it plays any lows it makes a rubbing noise. Is this because the cone is off? Also, Fixmyspeaker has kits and such for them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah ok. Then PSI is well known for fixing speakers.

It could be making noise because the cone is off. I hope, and prob so do you. But for 5 bucks for a sub, can't go wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.