Help selecting a sub for my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

greengeco82

I currently have this amp--->Alpine X-Power MRX-M100 Class D Mono Car Amplifier

It used to power my 10 inch W7 with this amp. My W7 is has been ruined by water. Its been so long since I'e bought audio equipment. Can anyone point me in the direction of a sub that hits as hard, or harder? It's going on my pontoon boat. I'll make a box to spec. Mostly listen to Hip Hop on the water. I want as much boom as possible. I'm looking for the cheapest sub to do the job that the W7 did.

Here are specs of my amp.

600 Watt - 4 Ohm - THD 1.0% - 14.4V DC - 1 channels 1000 Watt - 2 Ohm - THD 1.0% - 14.4V DC - 1 channels

Thanks,

Nick

Sundown SA seems to be highly regarded. What would hit harder with my amp? 10" or 12"? D2 or D4? The SA 12 D2 requires 750 RMS. My amps specs show 1000W at 2ohm RMS. Im guessing that would be a good pair? Anyone, as I am just guessing?

for 2 ohm u need the d4 12 would be sa great (if that amp really does 1k or close) depends on how much air space u have and sa is made for ported box.. so if u have a small sealed box look for something better for sealed..

for 2 ohm u need the d4 12 would be sa great (if that amp really does 1k or close) depends on how much air space u have and sa is made for ported box.. so if u have a small sealed box look for something better for sealed..
I'm just a little confused. You recommend the D4 12 for 2 ohm? The D4 is a 4 ohm speaker, and the D2 is a 2 ohm. My common sense tells me to get the D2 because it is a 2 ohm speaker, which will let my amp push 1000w. I am guessing that I am wrong, but I would like you to just confirm it for peace of mind. Here is a link to my amp-------------->https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bd2cO8foCrk/p_500MRXM100/Alpine-MRX-M100.html

wow.. d4 is dual 4 ohm wire them together either to make a 2ohm or 8 ohm load.. if u get the d2 it will only wire to 1 or 4ohm get it? if u find a single 2 ohm then yeah that would work but u won't find one so don't look for it.. tell me what box how big it is.. if it's fairly small u can get dayton 12 at parts express., peeps love them sealed, won't be = to w7 but it's $150 or so and they have nice looking box deal u can get with it total $218 u put box together but looks really easy..

wow.. d4 is dual 4 ohm wire them together either to make a 2ohm or 8 ohm load.. if u get the d2 it will only wire to 1 or 4ohm get it? if u find a single 2 ohm then yeah that would work but u won't find one so don't look for it.. tell me what box how big it is.. if it's fairly small u can get dayton 12 at parts express., peeps love them sealed, won't be = to w7 but it's $150 or so and they have nice looking box deal u can get with it total $218 u put box together but looks really easy..
Great info and thanks for the response. Now it makes sense. I was looking on youtube. I'll attach the link at the end of this. They have a design already made. Its a ported box 27" X 16.75" X 15". It is a total of 2 cubic feet. Tuning is 35hz (which I have no clue about). Here is the link-------->

Great info and thanks for the response. Now it makes sense. I was looking on youtube. I'll attach the link at the end of this. They have a design already made. Its a ported box 27" X 16.75" X 15". It is a total of 2 cubic feet. Tuning is 35hz (which I have no clue about). Here is the link-------->
yeah actually thats a good design, 2cf ad (after displacment) should be good some guys here like to go really big like 2.5-3cf and tune it to 30hz but 35 is what i like.. if u play rock u could even shorten port an 1" tune to 36-37hz (louder not as deep).. those boards u see in corners (some call corner killers) round out inside of box to prevent standing waves so looks good if u make it like that..

Thanks BOOMINGRANDPA. I started my build. Here is the mock up of my box. Waiting for the speaker to cut the speaker hole. I wont be beveling the edges of the port, because I dont have a router.20170719_145057 by Nick Alexander, on Flickr
box looks good man i musta missed this post.. the port is same width at back of box as it is at front of box right? anyway sure u got sub by now did u get the sa? sound good?

Thanks BOOMINGRANDPA. I started my build. Here is the mock up of my box. Waiting for the speaker to cut the speaker hole. I wont be beveling the edges of the port, because I dont have a router.20170719_145057 by Nick Alexander, on Flickr
I know it is only mocked up... but the port is not correct in this picture... it should be behind the baffle... then your port will not be uneven like it is now...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.