help reconing a jl audio sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

DSMissed

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable people can help me with.

I have a system with 2 JL Audio 12W1v2-4 subs.  About a year ago some douchy high schoolers broke into my car and stole them.   I FINALLY got them back, but one of them has a big hole in it now.  Like the size of a dime.  So I plan to recone it, but since these are the discontinued silver ones (and I'd really like them to match) I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it since I've not been able to locate a replacement cone that is silver.  So here's my questions:

1.  Does anyone know where I might find a silver replacement cone? Or, a place that makes custom replacement cones that is currently accepting orders? Fixmyspeaker.com is not accepting new orders, I don't know of any other places

2.  Would it be feasible to buy a black replacement cone and paint it silver?

3.  What type of paint would I need to paint it with?

4.  Can I somehow remove the old dustcap and reuse it?

5.  Do you recommend replacing the spider while the cone is off, or leaving it alone if its not damaged?

6.  Is Bob Smith's Cyanoacrylate glue good enough, or is there a different type of glue I should get?

Thanks in advance

Well since one sub is fine, I don't think it would cost more than buying 2 new subs.  Especially since I can't find any for less than $100, are you saying that buying a new cone costs nearly $200?

Thanks for the help, I guess.  But no worries, I ended up patching the hole yesterday, I was even able to get a fairly close color match.  Threw it back in the car today and turned the amp up a little just to test it and it held like a champ, but I suppose time will tell.

Even if JL did have a recone for the w1v2 it would be the newest version which is the black cone and re-cones on that price point of a subwoofer are gonna be almost as much is a new sub like Kush said 

Like 3 years ago I sold my 2 10” JL Audio w1v2s in a ported truck box for only like $120 and it took a couple months to even get that

Hello, I have a bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable people can help me with.

I have a system with 2 JL Audio 12W1v2-4 subs.  About a year ago some douchy high schoolers broke into my car and stole them.   I FINALLY got them back, but one of them has a big hole in it now.  Like the size of a dime.  So I plan to recone it, but since these are the discontinued silver ones (and I'd really like them to match) I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it since I've not been able to locate a replacement cone that is silver.  So here's my questions:

1.  Does anyone know where I might find a silver replacement cone? Or, a place that makes custom replacement cones that is currently accepting orders? Fixmyspeaker.com is not accepting new orders, I don't know of any other places

2.  Would it be feasible to buy a black replacement cone and paint it silver?

3.  What type of paint would I need to paint it with?

4.  Can I somehow remove the old dustcap and reuse it?

5.  Do you recommend replacing the spider while the cone is off, or leaving it alone if its not damaged?

6.  Is Bob Smith's Cyanoacrylate glue good enough, or is there a different type of glue I should get?

Thanks in advance
Springfield Speaker repair would be the only place that might have those parts.  If you can't get true OEM parts your subs will not be matched and you'd need to do both.   Painting may or may not work.  Again, are the two color cones identical?  Mass shape size, and stiffness of surround as each other? If they're not this may not work properly.

You may be able to gently pry off the dustcap with an exacto knife.   Hit or miss if it'll come off intact largely depending on luck and what kind of glue they use.

As far as spider and coil it's incredibly unlikely you'll be getting just the cone/surround off without losing those too.  

Dunno about Bob Smith, but I use a thick CA glue.  Pretty much any thick CA glue should work.  I have had poor luck getting it to stick dustcaps so I use AMAZING GOOP glue for dustcaps, though I know some guys that can get CA to hold them no problem.

Plenty of ways to easily patch a hole in a cone or surround though so just putting a band-aid on it and dealing with the looks would be my suggestion.

Even if JL did have a recone for the w1v2 it would be the newest version which is the black cone and re-cones on that price point of a subwoofer are gonna be almost as much is a new sub like Kush said 

Like 3 years ago I sold my 2 10” JL Audio w1v2s in a ported truck box for only like $120 and it took a couple months to even get that
I hear ya.  They are pretty old.

I did find a 10" for $75, but mine are 12.  Maybe there just aren't many for sale right now...

Springfield Speaker repair would be the only place that might have those parts.  If you can't get true OEM parts your subs will not be matched and you'd need to do both.   Painting may or may not work.  Again, are the two color cones identical?  Mass shape size, and stiffness of surround as each other? If they're not this may not work properly.

You may be able to gently pry off the dustcap with an exacto knife.   Hit or miss if it'll come off intact largely depending on luck and what kind of glue they use.

As far as spider and coil it's incredibly unlikely you'll be getting just the cone/surround off without losing those too.  

Dunno about Bob Smith, but I use a thick CA glue.  Pretty much any thick CA glue should work.  I have had poor luck getting it to stick dustcaps so I use AMAZING GOOP glue for dustcaps, though I know some guys that can get CA to hold them no problem.

Plenty of ways to easily patch a hole in a cone or surround though so just putting a band-aid on it and dealing with the looks would be my suggestion.
Thanks for that.  I did check springfield, and they had the poly cone for a 10", but not a 12".  Good to know about the spider and coil also.

Since this cone is polypropylene, I just was unsure what kind of adhesives and paint would stick. 

I did attempt to patch it, and so far it is holding up.  What I did was scuff all around the hole on both sides, then put a layer of thin CA glue on to get in the cracked areas around the hole, then put  two layers of thick CA glue on both sides.  Then I mixed some flex UV resin with some fiber fill UV resin and added some silver, pearl, and bronze mica powder to it.  I did a bunch of thin layers on each side, slowly filling in the hole and feathering outwards past the cracks.  I used wax paper to make it smooth.  It color matched pretty well, and the patch is stong but has a little flex to it.  I know resin doesn't adhere well to plastics, but I'm hoping the CA glue will act as an adhesion promoter for a strong bond. 

Thanks for that.  I did check springfield, and they had the poly cone for a 10", but not a 12".  Good to know about the spider and coil also.

Since this cone is polypropylene, I just was unsure what kind of adhesives and paint would stick. 

I did attempt to patch it, and so far it is holding up.  What I did was scuff all around the hole on both sides, then put a layer of thin CA glue on to get in the cracked areas around the hole, then put  two layers of thick CA glue on both sides.  Then I mixed some flex UV resin with some fiber fill UV resin and added some silver, pearl, and bronze mica powder to it.  I did a bunch of thin layers on each side, slowly filling in the hole and feathering outwards past the cracks.  I used wax paper to make it smooth.  It color matched pretty well, and the patch is stong but has a little flex to it.  I know resin doesn't adhere well to plastics, but I'm hoping the CA glue will act as an adhesion promoter for a strong bond. 
Sounds like proper bodywork, lol.  I was thinking more along the lines of a piece of aluminum can and some gorilla tape..... that's what I'd use.  The only weak thing about CA glue is that it's a bit brittle so if you have it thin on something that flexes it may just shatter.   Keep an eye out for Amazing Goop glue next time you're at a hardware store.  It's nice and sticky and stays a bit flexible.  Nice stuff, great for fixing punctured surrounds, handy for not just speaker repairs.

If Springfield doesn't have the parts it's likely nobody does, they're pretty much the biggest source of parts (especially new old stock OEM stuff).  Now if you ever want to recone both, Springfield may well have some parts that are close enough to OEM to perform well and you could at least make a matching pair but really parts aren't cheap and unless you just wanted to try building speakers for the sake of a project you'd probably do best just to retire them and get something new when the time comes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.