Help Please...Frying Coils on SPG-555

sml238
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I need some help quick. I bought a Boston SPG-555 and I have a Kicker ZX.1500 amp and a Pioneer Premier 500ub deck. I only turn my deck up 75% tops and my gain on my amp is set to a little less than half.

I already completely fried a coil to the point where it came apart. So I went to Safe and Sound Audio where I got it and they replaced the coil and I had him check everything out to make sure it wasn't distorting if I couldn't tell and he said it was fine.

But I can't even get through a full song with good bass without smelling my coil and I can't hear any distortion...And I took this coil out to see how it looked and its turning black. I don't know what it could be but it's really making me mad lol. Someone needs to helppp.

if you bought the system at that shop, have them set it. If it was my shop, I'd set the gains for you to keep your coil blowing butt from coming back in next week.

For sure get your gains set correctly like Dave mentioned and if there's not enough bass for you, get another(additional) sub instead of ruining the one you have.

if you bought the system at that shop, have them set it. If it was my shop, I'd set the gains for you to keep your coil blowing butt from coming back in next week.For sure get your gains set correctly like Dave mentioned and if there's not enough bass for you, get another(additional) sub instead of ruining the one you have.
The guy at the shop set my gain by ear its a 1500w amp I have it set to less than half...that cant be too much power for the sub it can easily handle 1200-1400w

Must be sending a clipped signal. Have the shop set your gains.. Or upgrade or add another sub as mentioned above

The guy at the shop set my gain by ear its a 1500w amp I have it set to less than half...that cant be too much power for the sub it can easily handle 1200-1400w
Thats not to professional.. Obviously he is not setting your gains correctly if your burning up the sub all the time.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Thats not to professional.. Obviously he is not setting your gains correctly if your burning up the sub all the time.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Yeah but i dont see how it would be burning up if my gains less than half...the sub can take way more power...

I need some help quick. I bought a Boston SPG-555 and I have a Kicker ZX.1500 amp and a Pioneer Premier 500ub deck. I only turn my deck up 75% tops and my gain on my amp is set to a little less than half.
I already completely fried a coil to the point where it came apart. So I went to Safe and Sound Audio where I got it and they replaced the coil and I had him check everything out to make sure it wasn't distorting if I couldn't tell and he said it was fine.

But I can't even get through a full song with good bass without smelling my coil and I can't hear any distortion...And I took this coil out to see how it looked and its turning black. I don't know what it could be but it's really making me mad lol. Someone needs to helppp.
when you replace a new voice coil, the glue smells for a while so that should be normal, but idk about it turned black. what is your bass boost set to?

obviously the shop doesn't know wtf they are doing then.
agreed.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

OP: there's no way to tell by ear how much power is going to the sub. Go ahead and do a little reseach on what the gain adjustment is and how it relates to the incoming signal. It is not an absolute output adjustment. --my gains are all the way down and I still reach full output on my amps.

If they keep replacing coils for free...that's their fault.

Yeah but i dont see how it would be burning up if my gains less than half...the sub can take way more power...
the gain knob is not a volume knob, you can get full power out of the amp with knob being at it's lowest possible setting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Check your bass boost setting? Check your IF.

Is the box ported or sealed?

It could be bottoming out below port tune.

I understand that. But obvisouly your sub can not handle how your system is setup?? Ask the shop to set them correctly. If they dont know how to do that there are plenty of tutorials on how to do it online. The fact is your burning up your sub. How can you argue your gains are set correctly? What type of answer are you looking from everyone??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.