Help or advise with new install

Participant count
  • Participant list

gregl

Hi to all, my son and I are installing a Boss system. It is all new. We have a four channel amp for the 4 front speakers and a 2 channel for the subs. The fronts work fine but I am not getting hardly any sound from the subs. I tried messing with all the controls with not much success. The 2 ch amp is a Boss CX1250 with 2 Boss 122 subs. I've checked the wiring multiple times and am using 4 gauge wires to distribution blocks. I'm just a little "green" nowadays, so any tips advise is more than welcome. Thanks very much!! Greg

To give ya a more helpful relpy....

The gear you have chosen to purchase is the bottom of the foodchain when it comes to audio. I would not expect much in the way of results. If you can, craigslist it or try to recoup some money out of it. Save up some extra money, and come back here and get an honest idea of what is your best options with the budget you have.

To give ya a more helpful relpy....
The gear you have chosen to purchase is the bottom of the foodchain when it comes to audio. I would not expect much in the way of results. If you can, craigslist it or try to recoup some money out of it. Save up some extra money, and come back here and get an honest idea of what is your best options with the budget you have.
Bottom of the chain is putting it lightly...

Craigslist post should read like this..

BOSS competition system!

Super loud.. BEATS HARD! Best system in the state

Paid a million dollars for this set up in 1950

Somebody will buy it

ya not much good news gonna come from here im afraid. but for the hell of it, what kind of vehicle is it in, and how do you have the box wired? are you using both channels or are the bridged? i believe those a 4 ohm woofers right?

as mentioned already the equipment is just cheap radio shack stuff, or stuff that they sell at those mega-sales. Not knocking you if you were unaware, but its cheaply made stuff. Even though its cheap stuff you should still be getting some mild sound... probably wont sound to great but there could be something else wrong if theres really nothing there

Thanks for the replies (Kinda!). Yes I realize these are low end, but he's 22 with not much money and this can get him started as it was his money. To answer "destined2race" they are in a '92 Firebird, the subs are wired straight to(one to each channel, not bridged), and they are 4 ohm subs. While I agree with the other posts about quality, etc. they should still put out something, not the the ripple I feel on the subs. They don't thump at all is an understatement and we're just trying to get "some" bass at least! Thanks for any ideas we can try, Greg

what kind of head unit is he running?

is he running his rca's to the sub amp off a sub pre-out, or off a regular channel?

how did you set your gain, bass boost, and x-over?

Well of course it is a Boss head unit! (BV7320). It is running off the sub output(although I had to use a Y adapter for the RCA's) I started the frequency at 80, and really moved the dials all over the place to try to get some bass going--there really is no thumping whatsoever on any setting. I try what Chemmins says and will wire them that way tomorrow. Thank you all, Greg

Hi Chemmins, like I said, I started it low and moved it all over but not much going on. I used to do this 15 years ago so I'm not totally in the dark, but this is crazy as it should do something! Yes it's set to low pass and I started at 80. I'll post back tomorrow after I try your idea. Thanks! Greg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.