conecommander
10+ year member

Pickles
Earth
I have an MA audio hk2000d mono block amp rated at:

750w @ 4 ohms

1000w @ 2 ohms

1500w @ 1 ohm.

I would like to power my two JL Audio 10w6v2’s with this amp. The subwoofers are in the dual 4 ohm voice coil configuration. They are rated at 400w, warranty void at the 750-800w range. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/RecPowerChart.pdf

I was originally thinking of wiring each sub @ 2 ohms, and in parallel for a final 1 ohm load. According to my amplifier power ratings (which I know are over rated) I would be giving each sub approximately 750w.

I looked at the parallel calculator on http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp and plugged in one 8 ohm and one 2 ohm load, which gives a total impedance of 1.6 ohms.

I also plugged in one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm load, which gives a total impedance of 2.666 ohms.

I’ve never wired subwoofers together in either of the last two ways I mentioned, nor have I read about other people doing it. So I’m kind of skeptical I guess. Does anyone have any advice on how I should configure these for the best match to my amplifier?

Just a reccomendation and a matter of preference. As he asked suggestions on how he would configure things for his 2 4ohm dvc subs to "best match" his amp. 750w each at 1ohm, maybe a bit less would be a good target IMO. I am now curious though. I as well have never personally seen the impedences mentioned above used in a setup. What might the advantages be over more "traditional" configurations?

Just a reccomendation and a matter of preference. As he asked suggestions on how he would configure things for his 2 4ohm dvc subs to "best match" his amp. 750w each at 1ohm, maybe a bit less would be a good target IMO. I am now curious though. I as well have never personally seen the impedences mentioned above used in a setup. What might the advantages be over more "traditional" configurations?
I was considering the 1.6 ohm configuration so that my subs would receive a little less power. These are brand new without warranty, I paid $600 for the pair too. I really would like to keep these for a while without blowing them. Still not sure the best route to take on this.

what i would do is wire them to 1 ohm for a couple reasons. those are decent subs and can handle the extra wattage if you are easy on them. also you don't have to set you gains to ouput 1500 watts. you can set your gains to put out say 1000 watts. also when you play music and impedence rise, you won't see close to 1500 watts regardless. most subs die to clipping instead of simply overpowering.

what i would do is use the gain setting tutorial to set your gains at 1000 watts. if you want it louder bump up to 1200-1400 watts

might wanna change the settings to receive pm's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i was wondering if you could provide me with a suggestion on this topic
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2966370&posted=1#post2966370
If I was you I would wire them Parallel/Parellel, And just set the gains accordingly. Check the gain setting tutorial thread.

You cant receive PMs.

e: conecommander has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

I was originally thinking of wiring each sub @ 2 ohms, and in parallel for a final 1 ohm load. According to my amplifier power ratings (which I know are over rated) I would be giving each sub approximately 750w.
this will be the best way

errr.. sorry about the pm's, thats my bad. But thanks a lot for the quick replies. I'm going to go with your suggestions and wire to 1 ohm. Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.