Help on a new install and future "business"

Participant count
  • Participant list
names Jake and ive been doing freelance audio installs for the past year. I dont consider myself a pro and have never done any pro installs beyond speakers/component systems and a simple sub and sub box as well as dampening/deadinning.

I do not have a lot of money and am studyin in a local community college but will be working a second job 6 days a week/8 hour days to try and build up more funds to buy more tools and materials as well as a good system for my truck to show off to potential customers. I have come here to seek the advice of the true car audio pros in hopes of helping to build my little on-the-side/hobby business as well as this new system.

I have a Ford Ranger 2007 extended cab

My current idea for a system setup is the following:

Head Unit/Receiver: Pioneer FH-X700BT

for speakers:

-2 pairs (4 speakers) of Rockford Fosgate P16-S component speakers/tweeters hooked up to a...

-Rockford Fosgate R400-4D using...

-16? or 14? or 12? (help!) gauge SHCA ofc wiring

subwoofer system:

-Fi Audio SP4 15" or AA Mayhem 15" (cant decide (help!)) powered by a...

-Hifonics Zeus 3200 watt amp in a...

-4 cubic feet of air space custom ported enclosure

All of this will be powered by a stock alternator (for the next year til i have enough for a mechman) and an XS Power batter/power cell (not sure which one to get (help!))

the Hifonics amp will be hooked up to the battery by SHCA ofc 1/0 gauge power wire & ground

the RF amp will be using shca 8 gauge ofc

sound dampener/deadener: FatMat

I have put (help!) where i need help deciding or figuring out what i need for that certain situation.

Any and all advice or criticism on this little setup will be appreciated. keep in mind i dont have tons of money as paying off the student loans as well as rent will be a killer.

in addition, any advice on getting into the car audio job field will also be appreciated.

thanks, jake

12 AWG or 14 AWG is fine. 14 AWG will be cheaper if you're pinching pennies. The subs are pick 'em, both quality products.

Here is where I think you've run aground...3200W. Even if you could get rated power from Hifonics, lets do the math.

3200W at what efficiency? Lets say 80%. Means you 'll need 4000W out of your electrical to get 3200W.

4000W / 12.8v (generous here) = 312.5 Amps just for sub amp at rated power.

How many amps is your stock alt? Maybe 100 Amps? And most of that is used already for other car accessories, say 60 Amps. That means you are 252.5 Amps short, plus still need to power the other amp.

You'll be able to get some of that with extra batteries (plural) but you wont ever get near what you need with stock alt and only 1 battery. Stock alt is probably good for up to 1000W. Beyond that, you need to upgrade.

yeah i figured i would have a problem with that. I would love to get a mechman but they're just too expensive for a guy like me. got any links to a good quality alternative alternator? somethin that wont break the bank would be nice. i can chisel out an extra $250ish for one.

realistically 14 ga would probably be a little overkill but if you want to upgrade in the future it would be good to run that now. 12 ga is almost unnecessary for mid range. I would suggest running 4 ga to the fosgate amp. If you are trying to do demos definately get a second batt. You can always upgrade the alt in the future. If you are looking to try and get into car audio as a career then make this install as clean as you can. Do it right and it could serve somewhat as a resume of what you are capable of doing. Also mecp certification always looks good to employers.

i found a DBElectrical 220 amp alternator that ill buy up. not a mechman but hopefully it'll do the trick

@Crossover yeah i have plans to upgrade to an RF Power component system in the future so ill run 14ga.

thanks mizzle and crossover

im running the 200amp alt from them. its good.

it has a low turn on and put out some power for sure. i crank my system up and the hardest hits it dips a little. but with my system i really need to add 2 extra battery's.

when i do that should be good. o i plan on putting in a 100amp alt that i just built so ill have 300 amps total from alt power. i just need to make a bracket to mount it.

im doing that because im now were near done with my setup lol

but anyway i think they are good .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.