Help! New to car audio. Advice on speakers.

Los Angeles California, I'll update the opening.
I'm currently looking up youtube videos to figure out if i can handle the installation.

@smitt

Mylows is a scammer? Thats a pretty viscous accusation. Why is he a scammer? he isn't even trying to sell me something?

@under

I think my sub has an amp in it.
mylows10 is not a scammer. Quite the opposite, he's actually a really good dude to do business with. He can hook you up with some good gear.

And if you can do all the work to take your door panels off and replace the stock woofer, you can install a tweeter.

So right, according to under, I shouldn't get a component system unless I get an amp.

So should i be getting something else, or does the infinity basslink's amp (i think the basslink includes an amp inside of it) count as sufficient?

Los Angeles California, I'll update the opening.
I'm currently looking up youtube videos to figure out if i can handle the installation.

@smitt

Mylows is a scammer? Thats a pretty viscous accusation. Why is he a scammer? he isn't even trying to sell me something?

@under

I think my sub has an amp in it.
mylows is deff not a scammer. look at his feedback score it speaks for itself.

thanks doug ,op you can get a lower line component set like the cl 60 set,it will sound just fine on deck power ,but you will get more from you components with an amp

Right, so for the component set, am I going to have to change up the wiring?

I was originally planning off of piggbacking off the current wiring in my car.

Is there a source where I can take a look at how the wiring for say, the CL 60 set needs to be done?

Hi & welcome to the forum!
I recommend the Skar Audio 6.5cs speakers. Skar Audio makes excellent equipment at an affordable price. They also have great customer service. The owner Kevin is a forum favorite & hero; great guy. Visit SkarAudio.com to check out their speakers & to place an order.

Have a blessed day!

-Smitty

-ca.com CEO
This made my ******* night! Haha. Very clever!

I would suggest to upgrade the stereo head unit to Pioneer DEH-80PRS. For its price, this is the only head unit with an extensive equalizer, active crossover, time alignment, and self-tuning capability. Hook up the front woofers and tweeters for active mode crossover ("network mode" in Pioneer-speak, after a switch is flipped on the head unit), run the tune and see if you like it. There should be a big improvement. If you still don't like the sound, then upgrade the speakers. $100 is not going to buy you much. This usually results in a mediocre speaker being replaced only by a slightly less mediocre speaker. I'd say bump your budget so you can afford something like JBL MS-62C or Massive Audio CK6. Having an amplifier can certainly help as a head unit's amplifier will not drive most speakers to the full potential.

It seems like the recommendation is to get a component set, an AMP, and possibly a new head unit. I'll probably need some other specialized tools to do the installation along with this, but putting that aside from now.

I'm havering trouble understanding the big picture.

1. Can I get a holistic recommendation on a set of all recommended upgrades combined. I don't want to pick and choose from various posts and end up with an unbalanced system.

2. I would like the set to be as budget conscious as possible without being a pointless upgrade. (This way I can figure out if better sound is truly worth an extra $xxx.xx)

It seems like the recommendation is to get a component set, an AMP, and possibly a new head unit. I'll probably need some other specialized tools to do the installation along with this, but putting that aside from now.
I'm havering trouble understanding the big picture.

1. Can I get a holistic recommendation on a set of all recommended upgrades combined. I don't want to pick and choose from various posts and end up with an unbalanced system.

2. I would like the set to be as budget conscious as possible without being a pointless upgrade. (This way I can figure out if better sound is truly worth an extra $xxx.xx)
ok man send me a pm ,we can talk about what you want / need from your system and budget for me to work with,then i can send you some links and price for everything.might even be able to find someone to help install it too

The easiest first step into car audio is not a component set, although those are basically the only speakers any enthusiasts consider. What you might want to look into are coaxials. These are speakers where the tweeter and the woofer are combined into one speaker. Usually the tweeter sits on top of the woofer and it's permanently attached. The hook up works like a single hook up, so all you have to do is cut the ends off your factory wiring, strip away some of the outer jacket, and screw them down on the coaxial terminals (or some other attachment type). If they aren't screw down, you may need to splice on a connector, but you can find these at walmart, home depot, etc. in the electrical department.

Here's some pictures of coaxial speakers:

images

images

images

And here is a full 2 way component speaker set (6.5" woofer, 1" tweeter, and the "mandatory" crossover that goes with them):

images

I put mandatory in quotes because more advanced systems (called "active" systems) don't use those little boxes. The box is called a passive crossover. It's like the traffic cop for high frequencies and low frequencies. It receives the full signal, then sends just the treble to the tweeter and just the bass to the woofer. In one of those pictures above you can see 2 circles above the woofer. This is called a 3 way coaxial. It has a tweeter to handle the treble, a midrange woofer to handle the midrange, and a midbass woofer to handle the bass. It's crossover directs all 3 parts of the full signal to their appropriate place.

Coaxials also usually run better on head unit power than components, so if an amp isn't in your budget, coaxials fit the bill. None of these things are overly difficult to install though, including an amp, a head unit, or components. Depending on how large the current speakers are, you may even be able to buy a replacement "baffle" that will convert the stock locations from say a 6x9" speaker to a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter hole. This would make mounting the tweeters a non-issue for you. You also tend to see a lot more coaxial speakers at the big box retailers like Best Buy. They are generally considered entry level.

Here's a picture of a premade adapter baffle that converts a 6x9" hole into a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter hole:

images

Car audio however is ALL about compromises. You won't achieve concert hall sound quality with coaxials running on head unit power. Something else to consider is that most factory sound systems make a lot of compromises in order to get some kind of bass output from very little power. The aftermarket usually doesn't. The result is, the factory speakers will probably offer more bass than the aftermarket will, at least in your price range. Adding an amplifier to them will increase the bass output, but it most likely will still be less output than the factory speakers. This is the trade-off between quality sound and bass output. Car makers know that bass sells cars, so they throw all their efforts into giving you bass, even if it makes the rest of the system sound like crap.

Probably the most important thing to remember when starting out in car audio is that there is no "best speaker". The science of audio is very complicated and there are tons and tons of variables. It's still a growing field, and not all of the answers are yet known, but we're getting closer. For every cool thing you see in a magazine article or at a car show, there are 15 things (maybe more like 100) going on behind the scenes to achieve a good sounding system. $1000 speakers will not sound good if you don't account for these other variables. I mean they'll sound better than $100 speakers that don't account for those variables either, but....

PM me if you'd like me to help you walk through the system build. I'm not a competition level expert by any stretch, but I'm about to wrap up my BS in electrical engineering and I've been an amateur car audio enthusiast for years. I've also helped a lot of people go from factory to impressing their friends.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.