Help needed

Burkie81

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 6, 2020
Oneida TN
So... Ive had a rockford p3d412 for almost a year... I hate it. for 600rms i just expected more. Everytime it gets so close to doing good it clips like crazy. My old sub was an infinity kappa 120.9w 12 inch. The sq wasn't all that great that i remember but dang it rattled everything and now i miss that feeling. So the question is, i have an alpine sa 60m amp that gives 600 rms at 2 ohm. I really don't crae much about sq im so hungry for spl so what 12 inch sub, under $400, would work well with my amp, and give me a little more spl. ive tried vented and sealed enclosures, different size power and ground, and even different head units, just let me know what you think for a new sub this thing isn't cutting it.
**side note.. is it bc that amp is trash or is that a decent mono block ? just wandering thanks

Burkie81

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 6, 2020
Oneida TN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Throwing new sub(s) at this probably isn't going to be your silver bullet.
Even with the sealed box I built to spec, performance is poor, just watching the cone I can see there's barely any travel before clipping

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
get a properly built ported box instead of buying a new sub....problem solved guaranteed

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Weird. I have the same sub in the 10" version and it is pretty loud. Shakes the car. Maybe sealed isn't the way to go.

Reactions: Louisiana_CRX

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
Reactions: ThxOne

Burkie81

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 6, 2020
Oneida TN
Weird. I have the same sub in the 10" version and it is pretty loud. Shakes the car. Maybe sealed isn't the way to go.

I see lots of videos of them online with lots of travel, I've been toying with my setting from gain to the eq and I just can't get it to travel half as much as other guys have. If I could get mine to move like others I know it would be amazing but mine just doesn't hit

Burkie81

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 6, 2020
Oneida TN
Just seen a review on my amp of someone running a 500 watt L7, said it clips all the time never had that problem before and sounds like me ... Blame the amp?

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
i blame the clueless user

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
you need a properly built PORTED box and set your gains right......what part of that dont you understand?

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
have a shop build ya one, your obviously not capable

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
finally a newbie with a sense of humor!!

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
I used to be a Rockford Fosgate fanboi. I can tell you, P3's do not like sealed. They sound ok but have no output. In a proper built, proper tuned vented enclosure, they come alive. That pre-fab is not doing that sub justice. Take the money and have someone like Brian Horton over at www.starrmountainsound.com build you an enclosure. Or if you are capable of building yourself, have @Buck design you and enclosure and build it yourself.

Reactions: Buck

Louisiana_CRX

dem shoes......
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 22, 2006
Piney Hills of Louisiana
Had my gains set at the shop so how do I build a box I asked ?
The simplest way to build a ported box is go with a rectangle box and slot port ...draw up a box to subwoofer specs ..use 3/4 Birch or MDF ..both can be bought at lowes or home depot .
You'll need 1 sheet...figure your box cut sheet ..go to Lowes or HD either will have a nice customer based table saw ... tip the guy cutting your box a $20 and tell him you need it cut to specs on your cut sheet ...while he's cutting your box ..pick up liquid nail and #10 2" decking screws go back get your wood...pay for it all...
go home and assemble..give liquid nail 3 hours to dry ..then cut circle out of box to fit subwoofer and your ready to go ...you can paint or stain your box or even wrap it in shag carpet or something if you want it to look better...and you'll be ready to jam on ....

Reactions: Buck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds