Help needed, picking my first subwoofer

Thanks for all the feedback, based on what you guys said I am thinking about 2 SA-12; however, I am worried that I will have to upgrade my electrical in order to provide a bigger amp to run 2 12s. Do you think 2 SA-12s will run on the SQ q-1200, or would the amp be under powering these? I would assume that any good amp around 1500-2000w would require me to upgrade my electrical?

Thanks for all the feedback, based on what you guys said I am thinking about 2 SA-12; however, I am worried that I will have to upgrade my electrical in order to provide a bigger amp to run 2 12s. Do you think 2 SA-12s will run on the SQ q-1200, or would the amp be under powering these? I would assume that any good amp around 1500-2000w would require me to upgrade my electrical?
It depends on your stock electrical. But an average car would work good with just the big 3, an extra battery wouldnt hurt to add.

The sa-12's should do good on that amp. I have no experience with them but from what ive seen they will play fine a little under powered.

Either amp will do you well if money isnt a issue id go with the sundown but that's just me. I've personally put 3k on my old pair of SA 15s an they still wanted more power but that could of been because my box was very efficient with little box rise.

I would recommend an American Bass XFL 10, or 12 for a single sub install.The XFLs have served me quite well and have performed to many of my expectations running as a single as well as a pair and quads.Within a proper enclosure, they do very nice.I can also by my experience recommend the SQ HDS 3 series subs, as I currently run a pair and have for quite some time and have been pleased with them with the quality as well as performance for the money.I did run a pair of SA-12s at one time and tried approx 6-7 different enclosures and never got the sound or performance I was searching for of my needs and wants.Alot of people like them, though I can say that they were just not to my standards sorry to say..Each to theyre own of course.Cant go wrong with an XFL in my opinion for the money.Just my 2 cents

Of course the possibilities change when you indicate that you don't already own that amp. I'm honing in on a pair of xfl's myself and seems like they're a solid buy based on feedback and best practices on this board. However, they are said to take 1000 or more watts each so moving up to these bigger woofers is gonna put you in the same scenario, needing a bigger amp. The sq 1200 will power one xfl pretty proper as would a sundown 1500. You could check out a synergy audio wfo 15.1 and be around 2k then get a pair of 2.5" vc subs or 1000 w rms 3" vc subs . Consider Prioritizing a decision on power (amp) budget first and then select subs after.

It May help you avioid overspending on drivers that you are unhappy with when you finally have everything hooked up.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to get the SQ q1-1200 and one sa-12 (d2 or d4?). I was going to get two 12s and a bigger amp, but after thinking it over I don't want that much power for my first install. I don't need to be heard from a mile away like other people have said with two 12s. I will also have a custom enclosure made. Any other tips?

Thanks again.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a custom enclosure? Here are the specs of two that I am looking at

Box 1- $125

24" x 15.5" x 18". 2.87 cubic feet gross vol. Slot port, 14"H x 2.25"W @35Hz. After all displacement, 2.11 net vol. Box is made out of 3/4" ply.

Box 2- $165

22.5" x 16.5" x 14". 2 cubic feet gross vol. Aero port, 4" flared by 11" long @35Hz. Both the port and sub are flush mounted 1/2" into the box. Box is made out of 3/4" MDF

Do you guys have any recommendations for a custom enclosure? Here are the specs of two that I am looking at
Box 1- $125

24" x 15.5" x 18". 2.87 cubic feet gross vol. Slot port, 14"H x 2.25"W @35Hz. After all displacement, 2.11 net vol. Box is made out of 3/4" ply.

Box 2- $165

22.5" x 16.5" x 14". 2 cubic feet gross vol. Aero port, 4" flared by 11" long @35Hz. Both the port and sub are flush mounted 1/2" into the box. Box is made out of 3/4" MDF
First box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.