Help needed, picking my first subwoofer

Fontnel

Hello,

This will be my first time installing a subwoofer and I am trying to spend ~$200 on a subwoofer. After doing some research I think I have narrowed my search down to 2: Soundqubed HDS312 or the Sundown SA-12. I know the SA-12 is a little more, but if the sound is better then I will happily spend the extra money. So which one would you pick? Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I will be glad to look at a few others. I drive a Ford Fusion and I often need the back seats, so I am worried that one sub will not be enough since my trunk will always be enclosed. Will one 12" sub be enough? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

By available power are you referring to the electrical system in my car or the amp that I would buy? If you're talking about electrical system, I have a 150 amp alternator and I would do the big 3 if needed. The amp I am thinking about is the SoundQubed q1-1200. Do you think this would work or would I need a bigger alternator/extra battery?

SSA GCON GCON-12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE (motor and voice coil are built in the USA, rest of the sub is assembled in house).

Not going to find a better sub (the only con of the sub is since its hand built your going to have to wait a month for it to ship).

If you can't wait then your local american bass dealer should sell the American Bass XR 12 for just under $200 (it has a bigger magnet than the HDS3 and it uses better soft parts).

The SSA GCON and AB XR are both good choices for the amp you listed (Q1 1200)

You are going to need an enclosure for your new sub, right? Why not check out the DD Audio LE-M12. The subs are built specifically for those enclosures so you don't have to worry about building the box correctly.

Ok thanks, and my stock electric system should be fine with a 1200w amp right? Just saw that you said to do the big three, do I need another battery?
I really don't think you need to worry about the wattage of your amp, so much. Rather, look at what amperage your amplifier draws. A 1200-watt Class AB amp will draw more amps than a 1200-watt Class D amp. Look at the back of your amp and see what fuses you have back there. If, for example, you have 4 25-amp fuses, then your amp will draw a max of 100 amps. Then see how many amps your alternator generates. If it is only 80 amps, then you will need to upgrade your electrical...for example. And, yes, I agree with the Big 3. Do that, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will look into the fuses and alternator later. Just as a general question, will one SA-12 be enough in an enclosed trunk (I often use the back seats)?
Well, that's really a personal preference. Some would say yes. Some would say no. Only you can answer that.

Thanks, I will look into the fuses and alternator later. Just as a general question, will one SA-12 be enough in an enclosed trunk (I often use the back seats)?
For an average person 1 12 in a trunk is plenty. Ive got a 12 in a terrible box in an awfully designed trunk and it still has a decent output.

pair of 12s would be my minimum in a trunk(that can hold a proper box for two 12s). Single 12 is nice but two 12s makes you feel alive.
There is definitely a noticable difference. The kicks are harder and the lines are smoother. But in my case it wasnt a crazy amount louder in the car, but outside the car is completely different. When i had 2 you could hear me for miles ( rural area) but now with 1 its much quieter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.