Super shady sub rebuild, who is to blame? What would you do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

THATpurpleKUSH
5,000+ posts

Fuckyou
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.......long story short, I damaged a DD 2515SC that I was installing for a friend after selling it to him. I'm not one to **** someone over so I said I would pay to have it rebuilt.

In hindsight I should have just sent it to PSI but anyway here's my story of a shady subwoofer rebuild involving Digitial Designs and a local shop (that I will keep un-named for now) who is also a DD Dealer.

I have yet to contact any of the parties involved regarding the issues at the bottom, I just want to know that I have a leg to stand on.

Less Important Details:

My initial call to the DD Dealer was June 3rd, they said they had to contact DD and would get back to me on price and details of the rebuild.

On June 22 I contacted the DD dealer who had to "recontact" DD.

June 29 I got ahold of the owner of the DD Dealer and got a price of $220, they have to wait for parts to rebuild then 3 day turn around.

I think great lets get this going. I live 100 miles away on the other side of the state, so I mailed my friend a check to deposit and pay for the rebuild cuz the DD Dealer wouldn't take credit card over the phone.

This was all over the summer and everything was a blur so I forget what happened but somehow the price went up to $250 and now they have to send the sub to DD for the rebuild, 2 week turn around now.

My buddy takes the sub in July 18, the sub came back Aug 15th.

So as you can see the DD Dealer sort of has a track record for sh*tty customer service in my opinion, but they blamed DD for the initial delay in getting me a price. I've never had to deal with DD but I've never heard of them having bad customer service, especially to their own dealers.

Here's the kicker and why I'm sharing my story here: My friend didn't notice that the basket was entirely different and the motor was banged up and rusty where it was banged up, until I noticed it while reinstalling everything a few days ago!

My question to you guys is this: Is there any legitimate reason why the basket was changed from a nice aluminum (?) spoked design to a cheap sh*tty stamped steel basket?

In addition: I swear the sub didn't go in there with the bottom plate banged up and rusted like that. The pics of the original configuration were taken just before it was sold, it was mint when I sold it. I forgot to get a pic of the sticker behind the rubber boot on the rebuilt sub.

I am ready to tear someone's head off over the stamped basket!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rage.gif.0ad8a6e5565b5fddce406566fdd05149.gif

That is unacceptable. I wouldn't even go back to that shop but call DD and complain (particularly if the shop told you that DD did that) . I'd like to think DD is the sort of company that cares about their reputation and will get to the bottom of it if some shop is doing shady work and tarnishing their reputation.

Honestly it doesn't cost DD 250$ to build and ship one of those subs so paying that much for a recone is for the birds in the first place. You should have just contacted DD, told them there wasn't a dealer within 100 miles of you and had them ship the recone kit directly to you.

Do update this thread.

Thanks for the quick responses, I know the $250 rebuild was steep but I just wanted my friend to have a working system asap. I will definitely keep you guys updated. I have to do my battling over the phone now because the stop is an hour and a half away. Do you think DD would do anything to reprimand the shop if I went straight to DD? I'm trying to plan all this out so I have something to stick to rather than loose my sh*t and go off the deep end accomplishing nothing.

In setting up the rebuild in the first place the shop gave me the impression that they didn't want to do it in the first place but probably did because of my persistence. I've never done a recone so I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself hence the outsourcing.

In setting up the rebuild in the first place the shop gave me the impression that they didn't want to do it in the first place but probably did because of my persistence. I've never done a recone so I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself hence the outsourcing.
Dont take any blame yourself. They had absolutely no right to screw you. If they couldnt do it then they should have said no. You got screwed over, now you that shop has to make it right.

Thanks for the quick responses, I know the $250 rebuild was steep but I just wanted my friend to have a working system asap. I will definitely keep you guys updated. I have to do my battling over the phone now because the stop is an hour and a half away. Do you think DD would do anything to reprimand the shop if I went straight to DD? I'm trying to plan all this out so I have something to stick to rather than loose my sh*t and go off the deep end accomplishing nothing.
Talk to DD. According to their authorized dealer they did this work and it is unacceptable. Explain to them you're nowhere near the dealer and you need this made right. They'll at least be able to tell you if it's something they did and why.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.