help my trunk lid

Participant count
  • Participant list

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
my car is a 74 chevy i noticed the other day ( first time i ever had a sub hooked up in the trunk ) i had a little 15" in a band pass box stuffed in there ( tight fit ) from a friend i borowed for a few days

i noticed rattle - suprise

but what i didnt expect was to find the glue or goo they used at the factory to be a brittle brown crap that just cracked apart and fell out of some of the holes between the outer trunk skin and the inner trunk lid re enforcing pannel. unfortunately for me this panel covers the majority of the underside of the lid - with a few small axess holes here and there so using a normal caulking gun and just running all the seams with it wont work... id have to figure out a way to hook up a 12" small diamater tubing to the end and feed it up thru the small axess holes in there ( and maby drill a couple of new ones to get at hard to reach spots )

so what do you recomend for me to use to re bond the outer panel to the inner panel ?

just a normal silicone ? or something stronger like a liquid nails ? after im comftorble the bond is good between the 2 panels i plan to fill the rest of the areas with spray foam and then do a layer of deadner over the entire under trunk lid ( planing my IB / trunk baffle build )

but i want to eliminate any rattles that are in the actual trunk lid itself before i cover up all the axess holes with deadner.

please share your advice and thank you.

You're just going to rattle it apart. I broke the mounting tabs off the tailights in my malibu. I searched for a year to try to find the correct lights ('78, 79+ are ugly IMO). Then my rear quarter glass fell out and landed on the back seat thank god. Then one night, i hit a bump and something sounded funny. i got bored and decided to check my body to frame bolts. The rears were not present lol. Then i ditched the system. (single 15" sealed on 1000w)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.