Help! Memphis 15" makes buzzing noise at low volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sk8almost44
10+ year member

Hello, I am having this problem with my 15" Memphis..

I bought it and it makes this buzzing noise only at low volume.. Unless I hold it down in the one corner. I do not get it?!?

Please watch the video below, it is had to explain in words.. If you need more detail please let me know, I can take pics and record more videos.

I got 1.7 on each side

IMG_03431.jpg

Also, when I push down on one side, it makes a scraping noise like it's rubbing on something.. but if I push on the other side it doesn't make the noise. When I tap on it it makes a "thud" noise, instead of a drum noise. I posted a video below:

Those tops are removable, take it off and have a look for evidence of rub and make adjustments in the opposite direction when you reassemble.

Does it look bad?

IMG_0516.jpg

Before I took it apart, I noticed the 3 screws in the back were a little loose... Maybe a problem with the "thud" noise when I would tap on it.

After I took it apart, rotated it, and tightened the 3 bolts it still has the rubbing noise. Also when I tap on it, it still doesn't sound like when you tap on a normal subwoofer, it doesn't go down much freely when you lightly press down on the center either.. Are the bolts too tight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I rotated the top piece, and screwed the screws in all the way (tightly) and it made the cone very firm when you lightly press down. When you tap the cone, it didn't make that drum "thud" noise..

Loosened all 3 bolts a little, noticed a rub still. This fixed the firm feeling when you lightly press on cone, made the drum "thud" noise that you usually hear when you tap on the cone.

Loosened 1 bolt where it was rubbing, helped a lot with the rubbing problem.

Loosened another bolt where it was rubbing a little still, and that fixed the problem.

Sounds how it sounded brand new, I guess the bolts come loose over time and causes it to shift around and could cause rubbing if not adjusted over time..

Thank you so much for your time and helping me fix the problem!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.