Help me select speakers/sub for my little truck

Participant count
  • Participant list
Good morning. I've been reading threads for a good while. I do not understand most of the terminology. I havent kept up with the audio world. I only heard bits and pieces of the scene from locals who in most cases seem to not know what they are talking about. So that brings me here.

The daily is a 06 b2300 single cab truck. I've been having the truck for about 7 years and I finally decided to threat myself. I took out the cheap $19 walmart deck and i ordered this last night: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-built-in-bluetooth-in-dash-cd-dm-receiver-black/4898601.p?skuId=4898601 It seems perfect for me and my price range. I wanted a dual din without a touch screen.

I would like you guys to suggest some replacement speakers for my doors and rear. I think 9x6's fit. It's a single cab truck and currently doesnt have rear speakers. I havent pulled off the rear mesh to see if it's prewired. Id like to keep it under or around $150 for door speakers and perhaps the same ($300 total) for the rear IF moving my stock front door speakers to the back isnt a good idea.

For an all in one sub, i thought about this: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-LOPRO8-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B0082YUR7M/ref=sr_1_20?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1511799563&sr=1-20&keywords=car+subwoofer

My goal for my truck is clarity. I do not want LOUD music nor bass to shake the truck. I just want a clear sound with a little bass when i need it. I dont want to run an amp if i dont have that. That seems it would up the cost and more importantly take up space. The all in one sub will cut behind my passenger seat. I want to keep behind my seat free to store stuff.

I'd just do fronts on a small amplifier. That Lil sub more than likely is junk.. it might be decent enough for you but I'd stay away from them.

For 500 bucks you can get decent budget stuff

Good morning. I've been reading threads for a good while. I do not understand most of the terminology. I havent kept up with the audio world. I only heard bits and pieces of the scene from locals who in most cases seem to not know what they are talking about. So that brings me here.
The daily is a 06 b2300 single cab truck. I've been having the truck for about 7 years and I finally decided to threat myself. I took out the cheap $19 walmart deck and i ordered this last night: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-built-in-bluetooth-in-dash-cd-dm-receiver-black/4898601.p?skuId=4898601 It seems perfect for me and my price range. I wanted a dual din without a touch screen.

I would like you guys to suggest some replacement speakers for my doors and rear. I think 9x6's fit. It's a single cab truck and currently doesnt have rear speakers. I havent pulled off the rear mesh to see if it's prewired. Id like to keep it under or around $150 for door speakers and perhaps the same ($300 total) for the rear IF moving my stock front door speakers to the back isnt a good idea.

For an all in one sub, i thought about this: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-LOPRO8-Amplified-Subwoofer/dp/B0082YUR7M/ref=sr_1_20?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1511799563&sr=1-20&keywords=car+subwoofer

My goal for my truck is clarity. I do not want LOUD music nor bass to shake the truck. I just want a clear sound with a little bass when i need it. I dont want to run an amp if i dont have that. That seems it would up the cost and more importantly take up space. The all in one sub will cut behind my passenger seat. I want to keep behind my seat free to store stuff.
Stay far away from gutter brands like soundstorm. Not sure if there's any inexpensive custom built all-in-one subs that'll fit your truck. JL likely has one that'll be nice sounding but premium priced. JBL/Infinity may have something along those lines but IDK about shallow mount.

omg., u got see if u can return that "sub".. u probably coulda got better hu for $50 more and u can get jbl or infinity 500rms amp for $100 (guy here has new infinity he just tested it over 600rms $90) and even a pioneer 311 10" (on ebay $50 or so) with small truck type sealed box would sound 100 times better than that for about 450 more $..

then you completely messed up because the head unit is what provides the clarity. cheap head unit = cheap sound no matter how good your speakers is. Its a sad truth, people dont understand how important the head unit is to how good your whole system sounds. your head unit needs a minimum of a 24 bit DAC (better sound off the bat) 9 band EQ or higher, time alignment and high pre-out voltage.

A good head unit with dirt cheap speakers will sound better than a sub par head unit with good speakers. thats how much of a difference it makes. at 65 dollars theres a single din unit that is infinitely better sounding but its on sale and the sale ends today. otherwise the next head unit up is around 130 dollars for double din thats actually worth your time.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-UO94F3rhUkF/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html

As for speakers, Dont wast any money on the rear speakers, leave them stock, only upgrade the front speakers and add an amplifier. An amplifier is not there for loudness, its mainly there to improve clarity and detail. If you upgrade to aftermarkets on head unit power, your system will sound crappy because aftermarket speakers need power to sound good.

Also replacing speakers is not a "throw a pair of 6x9s in and call it good" sort of deal. Thats called an incomplete half @ssed install. This is a full speaker install which turns your door into a proper speaker enclosure along with preventing rattles and also directing the sound properly into your cabin. without doing all of this, you will run into phase cancellation which destroys midbass and overall speaker clarity. AKA Sound waves will fight each other in your door and it gets chaotic.

I didnt buy a sub. I provided the link to get some opinions on it.
HU means head unit as in deck? If so, why? How will that help me achieve my goal?
yup. looking into it, that sony has a crappy 16 bit DAC which means horrible sound off the bat. A proper head unit has a 24 bit dac, burr brown if possible. the difference between the two is like if you had a wet cloth covering your speakers. The pre-out voltage is weak as well. Literally if it has all the other features i listed in a good head unit but does not have a 24 bit dac, its a junk head unit. Thats a complete and utter minimum requirement for good sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.