Help me pick out new amp/comp. setup in the regal.

Participant count
  • Participant list

kpeters0929
10+ year member

WI
Hello,

So i'm starting to plan everything out for the Regal. Stopped the project to finish my race car, but now i'm feeling the urge again to get it done.

As of right now the Regal is fully dampened (front to rear). It will have a dual alternator setup (200amp stock replacement alternator and an additional 275 amp large GM alternator)

Bunch of XS power batteries.

I'm going to have 2 15" DC sound lab level 5's running sundown saz-3500d's. Forward facing subs back seat removed (trunk sealed off).

That is the plan so far.... but i am plan everything out before purchasing parts.

So i figured i'd get my 4 channel and f+r comp's put in first.

From doing a lot of research i believe i will try out the JL audio HD600/4 amplifier. I did do a lot of research on the other options i have, but it really ended up coming down to the size of the amplifier. It's going underneith the drivers seat and will fit perfectly compared to most of the other ones.

Now the question is the components i will go with. I'm pretty much stuck on the Hertz HSK165's but debating where they should be installed.

I took a few interior pictures of the car to show where the factory speaker locations are.

Rear speakers are in the rear deck lid (6x9's but adapter was used to install 6 1/2")

Front speakers are in the dash and are 4".

I do NOT have speakers in the doors... this is a 2 door car by the way. Not the older regals... this is a '90 regal.

I can install the 6 1/2" speakers in 3 different locations. Floorboard, lower door panel and upper part of the door panel. The tweeters can be installed by the left+right mirror or on the A-pillar.

Now the question is if i were to install 6 1/2" comp's in any of those locations, should i keep the 4" on the dash or relocate those as well? And what about the rear speakers?

I don't have too many options for 4" comp's, this is what it comes down to though.

Front 4" comp's

Focal 100VRS or 100KRS

Diamond S400s

Rainbow brand??

Not too many options for this size. I can not go larger in the dash.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If i had to buy a comp set it would Hertz.

Buy Sundown or Zuki or Zed Audio.

The JL HD's are nice but pricey.

Have you thought about DIY driver going active?

Have you read anything on fullrange drivers?

Thanks guys.. i updated the thread. I believe i am going to try out the HD JL 4 channel amp... mainly for it's small size which it will fit under the seat perfectly.

I did read up on the DIY drivers and going active.... but wouldnt doing this way benefit me better?

not sure how much you are wanting to spend and if your going for loud or SQ but with a flat dash like that i'd like to see the underside of the dash and recommend some hlcd and a strong pair of mids for either the doors or the kciks

not sure how much you are wanting to spend and if your going for loud or SQ but with a flat dash like that i'd like to see the underside of the dash and recommend some hlcd and a strong pair of mids for either the doors or the kciks
Well i'm looking for a combination of both loud and SQ. Pretty much needs to keep up with the 15's running 7000+rms. The underside of the dash isn't flat, but horns could definately be able to fit. So would you recommend running the 4" speakers on the top of the dash add the floorboard comp's and still run the rear decklid comp's? Or delete the rear decklids completely? Or just run the floorboards and rear decklid's? Or vice versa?

So you would run the doors and dash... and not run the rear deck speakers? Or run the rear deck speakers as well?

After i think about it, if i were to run all 3 would i still use a 4 channel amp and wire 2 sets of speakers in series? Or would it be better to run a 6 channel and "Y" connect the 3+4 channels to 5+6?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.