Help me find a sub

BEEFKING69

Florida
Number of subs preferred: 1 2ohm DVC around 1000 watts

Size preferred: 12

Budget: around 200

Power to be used (which amp(s), Hifonics Brutus BRX1116.1D @ 1ohm

Listening habits: All types of music...just depends on mood and whos in the truck with me

Currently I have two antique mtx thunder 7500s wired to 2ohm running off of a Hifonics Brutus BRX1116.1D in 1.0cf sealed boxes and they sound pretty good but are lacking the low low response (they only go down to 39 or 45hz i believe) and leave alot to be desired.

Id like a 2ohm DVC 12 in the 1000 watt range that would work good in my current sealed boxes and then at a later date add another one. Also would like opinions on possibly going ported? Ive always had sealed and think i might like to try ported in the near future.

Number of subs preferred: 1 2ohm DVC around 1000 wattsSize preferred: 12

Budget: around 200

Power to be used (which amp(s), Hifonics Brutus BRX1116.1D @ 1ohm

Listening habits: All types of music...just depends on mood and whos in the truck with me

Currently I have two antique mtx thunder 7500s wired to 2ohm running off of a Hifonics Brutus BRX1116.1D in 1.0cf sealed boxes and they sound pretty good but are lacking the low low response (they only go down to 39 or 45hz i believe) and leave alot to be desired.

Id like a 2ohm DVC 12 in the 1000 watt range that would work good in my current sealed boxes and then at a later date add another one. Also would like opinions on possibly going ported? Ive always had sealed and think i might like to try ported in the near future.
u need to do 1 12 in ported box on that amp man.. good ported box tuned at 35 hz will give u more volume at lower freqs and be loud..

I'd suggest just getting a nice ported box built for those 7500's... you will be happy with the results... that amp is underpowering those subs most likely anyways... get a efficient low tuned ported box and you'll probably be happy

That $200 could be under $60 if you do the assembly... that's an easy box to build

I had looked at the skars and sundown and nvx and a rockford even newer mtxs. On the ported boxes for the 7500s anyone got any plans or is there any kits available? Or pre built boxes? I can put one together if i had the pre cut wood i just don't have the stuff to cut the wood =( If i went that route id like separate boxes since they would be easier to get in and out of the back seat of the truck. As for the amp i figured it was overrated but it was free =p

I had looked at the skars and sundown and nvx and a rockford even newer mtxs. On the ported boxes for the 7500s anyone got any plans or is there any kits available? Or pre built boxes? I can put one together if i had the pre cut wood i just don't have the stuff to cut the wood =( If i went that route id like separate boxes since they would be easier to get in and out of the back seat of the truck. As for the amp i figured it was overrated but it was free =p
That amp is about right for those 7500's... Truck?.. where are you planning to put the box?.. on the backseat?... a ported box is kinda big

Back seat. Its a 95 extended cab f150. Right now subs are sitting on the back seat and amps are mounted under the seat. Subs on each side leave enough room for 2 people to sit in the middle and im gonna assume that with ported boxes there might be enough room left for 1 person if not who cares lol i rarely ever have more than one person with me anyway

I can post a ported box for ya real quick... can you build it?... it's easy... just study the dimensions and translate it to the cuts you get at Home Depot... then assemble it and cut the holes... it'll look similar to this...

UEvt6Yb.jpg

This is for YOUR subs and power... it's tuned to around 35hz... want to try?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah id give it a shot. Thes subs don't even have a frequency response below 39 tho (some sites say 39 is their lowest and some say 45 is their lowest) my biggest issue would be cutting the holes as i don't have a jig saw nor a router...... I got a dremel with the router accessories but haven't ever tried to use it

Yeah id give it a shot. Thes subs don't even have a frequency response below 39 tho (some sites say 39 is their lowest and some say 45 is their lowest) my biggest issue would be cutting the holes as i don't have a jig saw nor a router...... I got a dremel with the router accessories but haven't ever tried to use it
yeah u can make that work.. if your subs look good are in good shape make the box as shredder says.. u can replace subs later but u still have a box and u should gain 6 db at least with same subs.. and the lower freqs be lots louder., maybe u be happy for a while or it'll sound good & u can sell it make another box for better subs and upgrade amp..

Man this is a 35hz tuned box... dont try to tell me that those subs wont go that low... lol... this is for your exact subs/amp btw...

bAPEn4.jpg

I modeled it with Winisd...

it should be fine... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Use the "physical port length measurement" to get your port length.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have some MTX 7500s, iirc I put them in 3.75cf tuned around 35hz. They definitely wanted a bigger box and maybe even a bit lower of a tune like around 33hz. It was the 8th box I had built at the time and I wouldn't advise using 2x2s for bracing, they eat up a lot of space. 1 1/4 dowels seem to be the sweet spot for braces.

View attachment 26557068

That Hifonics amp will barely tickle those 7500s, get a bigger amp along with a custom made ported box.

That looks fairly straightforward. Like I said biggest issue ill have is the holes. These 7500s have been around the block a few times lol one has a bullet hole in the cone from a mishap years ago but it got patched with silicone and sounds no different than the other one. And they have always been under powered since they was brand new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.