Help me find a full ranger

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
Looking for a nice full range driver to run (probably in my pillars).

I love the midrange I got from my TB w4 bamboos but I like brighter highs than some and they dont do it for me. They are sex for a 3 way front; but I want to run a 2 way front with midbass and full range.

Preferably no smaller than 3" and nice upper end extension. Anybody know of anything?

No set budget, but nothing ridiculous

also not really wanting to run HAT.

I vote against the 88EX. The cone material makes them sound tinny in reviews Ive read. As for the Markaudio cant go wrong with either pair. I went with the Audible Physics AP3's. I got mine on DIYMA for the same price they were on preorder for.

I don't know. I have been looking at decent 3-4" full rangers for a couple weeks now. The first Founteks are the best of the 4 you have listed. I am looking into other options for full range on the cheapz. but not too much out there unless you go co-ax. You can get a full frequency in a 4" that way.

I vote against the 88EX. The cone material makes them sound tinny in reviews Ive read. As for the Markaudio cant go wrong with either pair. I went with the Audible Physics AP3's. I got mine on DIYMA for the same price they were on preorder for.
I was waiting for you to jump in here lol. I've read that too about the 88EX. I really am leaning towards the Markaudio as I hear they will play lower too. I'm still looking around for some other options though. I hear the Tang Band w3 1285sg is great. But, no american dealers seem to have them. So I'm gonna try and see if PE can special order me some.

I don't know. I have been looking at decent 3-4" full rangers for a couple weeks now. The first Founteks are the best of the 4 you have listed. I am looking into other options for full range on the cheapz. but not too much out there unless you go co-ax. You can get a full frequency in a 4" that way.
If I did go coax, it'd have to be a really high end 3 or 4" coax. I really want to eliminate tweeters. I did a shoebox mock up in my room (LOL) with my TB w4 1320sj bamboo drivers and with some EQ up top, they actually dont sound bad at all and I love the way everything blends. But they need to be DEAD on axis and if u even think about moving your head, youre losing highs. So, I'm thinking something with a more rigid/ metallic cone would help me out since I tend to be more partial to aluminum tweets anyway. I'm gettin mixed reviews on the Founteks...WD said one thing about them being tinny and i've seen that as well, but also I've read about people loving them....decisions, decisions

I thought those were pretty much the same driver? I find the 88ex to be a great driver. Especially on the upper side compared to other wide band drivers. I'm not sure what tinny means, those audiophile terms baffle me sometimes.

I thought those were pretty much the same driver?
the AP3's use better parts since they are no longer built by the same peepz. It has been said that the differences in sound are for you to judge but that the AP's are definitely built better/ are more durable.

the AP3's use better parts since they are no longer built by the same peepz. It has been said that the differences in sound are for you to judge but that the AP's are definitely built better/ are more durable.
Ah gotcha. I remember reading a while back they were pretty similar.

I think those would be a nice alternative given I cant get the full range idea to work and I'll already have cut up my pillars probably....

I've been wanting to try some of the JBL stuff anyway. I just wonder how coaxs perform versus full range overall...well besides the high freq beaming issues...

fostex_fx120.jpg

I think those would be a nice alternative given I cant get the full range idea to work and I'll already have cut up my pillars probably....
I've been wanting to try some of the JBL stuff anyway. I just wonder how coaxs perform versus full range overall...well besides the high freq beaming issues...
I think you will be able to aim it fairly spot on, and can try different axis for the tweet to ensure you hear what sounds best to you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.