Help me design an enclosure :)

Participant count
  • Participant list
I guess useless isn't the proper wording. There are a couple of other approaches that seems to work much better...well at least for me. You care to share your vehicle's transfer function and the year of the Camry? We really need a complete database.
Tuan
Sorry, I tend to be pretty literal at times. No doubt, there are more exacting approaches but modeling is a nice tool to have when you can get it to cater to your needs, even on a rough level. I always use me ears to do final tweaking anyhow. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Gimme a second to load that graph into the bucket, Tuan.

Let's assume I won't be fooling with the ABC and go on to the next paragraph //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No, a TL isn't just a gigantic resonating port as far as I know because the resonance only occurs in a ported box because there is a pressure deficit in the chamber after the air is forced out of the port. Only when you add a loading chamber to the beginning to the line (usually about 1/6 of the total line's volume) do you get any resonance effect. Otherwise, it's purely a phase inverter which is what it's supposed to do. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sure you can slow down the air flow mechanically with fills, bends, membranes and whatever else you want, but that still doesn't mean it will operate as expected. There are two kinds (as I'm sure you know) of TLs: ones that have output at the port and ones that don't. The ones that don't are merely supposed to be the ideal sealed enclosure as they exhibit no resonance whatsoever at frequencies that the sub will affected by: the rear wave of the speaker is completely damped by the enclosure and the cone is therefore completely controlled by the air in the line. The ones with output at the port are usually what we're looking for, but perhaps I should be looking for the former type. The line will still be ~ the same length, however, and tuning to a speaker's 1/4 Fs when it's

I use my Civic as a daily car and simply want a nice, clean and loud system: not loud speakers with loud bass. I'm using CDT HD-62Z with UpStage and I want it to be seamless like my home audio setups are and although I know that's incredibly difficult due to a car's envirionment, it cannot be impossible. I think it's just that most people have a different idea as to what SQ is than I do. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
In regards to forced air: there is a clear distinction between a laminar and a turbulent flow. What you do is find the highest velocity point using compression and still retain an acceptable laminar flow. Design the cross area for that flow rate and you're off to a great start. From there start modifying for the small box.

TL: A transmission line is only useful if the port has output. "Using the port to control the cone" isn't a good approach at all. There are many other ways to do so such as: Passive radiator, Aperiodic Membranes in a sealed box, IB with back wave dispersion behind the woofer.

Here is something to think about for you: What happens went you drill small holes down the center line in the port a few inches away from each other. Now make the holes bigger and stuff it will foam or high density membranes. Now do this for a transmission line. Give it a try. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Tuan

Here you go. I don't have any background info on what standard was used as far as driver/enclosure but I trust John's abilities and it's been pretty useful to me. To my understanding, the green line represents all windows up.

Camary4windowscompare.gif

Vehicle is a 2005 Camry SE.

toyota-camry-se-20050825061523111.jpg

Me next! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

PV do you have an RTA.........or Tru RTA for a laptop

measuring transfer function is quite simple if you have an RTA..........Tru rta and a behringer mic can be purchased for around $100

I, sir, have not a spectrum analyzer nor do I plan on buying one for my car since I don't do car audio hardly at all.

10 Courtesy points to whoever can tell me what sub is in my avatar picture (ciaonzo you're exempt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.