Help me choose sub amp

skip1980

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Missouri
So I have 3 amps I am considering. I'm really only interested in these 3. All 3 are close in price, footprint size and power. All three are rated 300watts @ 2ohms. So I have a 2018 Toyota Tundra, I am running the stock head unit with a Rockford DSR1 and a JBL Dsp4086 8 channel amp running everything including the sub for now. I am wanting more from the sub so I am getting a dedicated sub amp. The 3 I am looking at is the Kicker Key 500.1, AudioControl acm-1.300 and the Rockford Fosgate T500X1br. I want 1 of these amps because of the small footprint. I am running a 10in infinity 2 ohm sub (ref1000s) in a ported box behind the rear seat. Any input would be appreciated.

skip1980

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Missouri
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those 2 are only 500 watts at 1 ohm. I will be running it at 2 ohms which will be 300 watts. All 3 amps listed are rated 300 watts at 2 ohms.

MythosDreamLab

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Southern California
Sorry man, I'm working from home and didn't have time to go check the specs at Crutchfield, I ran into the same thing recently, I bought a Audison APF 1D Amp which is 500w @ 4 ohms and 800w @ 2 ohms.

Anyway, all three of those are fine amps for your application, wondering why you didn't consider a JL mono Amp(?)

MythosDreamLab

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Southern California
My little 8" Sub is also rated at 300w and I'm pumping 260w (300 peaks) and it seemes under-driven (under-powered) so I'm going with 500W. If your Sub is rated at 300w, you should give in 500w, you can adjust the gain or volume accordingly...

skip1980

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Missouri
Jl doesn't make one with as small of a footprint as these. I have limited room. I am installing on an existing amp rack underneath passenger seat.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Tough one. Which one offers more? Audiocontrol is good and has headroom. I am sure the Kicker will have some headroom as well. Then there is the RF Power series such as the one you have listed. I am willing to bet that this one will have the most headroom (power above it's rated power). Any one of them would be good I am sure.

skip1980

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Missouri
Tough one. Which one offers more? Audiocontrol is good and has headroom. I am sure the Kicker will have some headroom as well. Then there is the RF Power series such as the one you have listed. I am willing to bet that this one will have the most headroom (power above it's rated power). Any one of them would be good I am sure.
They honestly are all very similar that's why I'm having a hard time choosing. All about the same footprint, same power, all have bass knows, all require same size power and ground size and all very close in price. I'm kinda leaning more towards the AudioControl or the Rockford. Does anyone know if the AudioControl has an internal fan? It doesn't really look like it does. I think the Rockford has 2 fans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Most posts - Past 30 days